Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2015, 03:42 AM

Default One year ago $599 PT HD Upgrade&Support Plan was introduced. Here's what we got.

One year ago $599 PT HD Upgrade&Support Plan was introduced. Here's what we got:
  • stability improvements (questionable - graphics is glitchy in 12 compared to 10)
  • I/O Setup improvements
  • rented plugins during subscription time

This is for Pro Tools HD which costs a lot and the upgrade plan is currently 6 times more expensive than vanilla plan, where the users received plenty of, previously HD exclusive, functions.

I admit I upgraded, but for much less than advertised $599, thanks to an eBay auction. Luckily we can still find loopholes in Avid's twisty rules and upgrades from Pro Tools HD 10 can be found on eBay in the $200 - $400 range and 12 month plan is automatically activated upon activation of such upgrade.

What was promised one year ago?
  • Avid Everywhere
  • Freeze
  • Session Archive functions

One year later none of the above has been given to those who subscribed. Early subscribers had their plan extended through March 2016 which will give them about 3 months of those new features, provided that Avid will roll them out in December 12.3 upgrade.

Year after year Avid gives us lessons that it is worth waiting and their arm twisting upgrade policies always end up in failures with people holding onto older versions of their Pro Tools HD software.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 10-17-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Re: One year ago $599 PT HD Upgrade&Support Plan was introduced. Here's what we got.

Agreed. I've already decided to simply let one license go, because it simply is no longer worth it to me to have 2 HD licenses. I suppose I'll upgrade my existing license in December, under duress. I am also going to probably drop one license of Media Composer, for the same reason. As a single owner-operator, I used to upgrade one dongle each year, keeping 2 MC and 2 PTHD licenses current on a rotating basis. Not any more. Avid has lost 2 licenses, while arguably locking me into annual rates on the remaining two. But I won't lie; I'm not thrilled. It's early going, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that I could look at alternatives. Lightworks, Resolve, or Edius all seem reasonable options given that everything is file-based now. Probably Nuendo on the DAW front. Still sleeping on it and thinking.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:04 AM

Default Re: One year ago $599 PT HD Upgrade&Support Plan was introduced. Here's what we got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
One year ago $599 PT HD Upgrade&Support Plan was introduced. Here's what we got:
  • stability improvements (questionable - graphics is glitchy in 12 compared to 10)
  • I/O Setup improvements
  • rented plugins during subscription time

This is for Pro Tools HD which costs a lot and the upgrade plan is currently 6 times more expensive than vanilla plan, where the users received plenty of, previously HD exclusive, functions.

I admit I upgraded, but for much less than advertised $599, thanks to an eBay auction. Luckily we can still find loopholes in Avid's twisty rules and upgrades from Pro Tools HD 10 can be found on eBay in the $200 - $400 range and 12 month plan is automatically activated upon activation of such upgrade.

• Avid Everywhere
  • Freeze

One year later none of the above has been given to those who subscribed. Early subscribers had their plan extended through March 2016 which will give them about 3 months of those new features, provided that Avid will roll them out in December 12.3 upgrade.

Year after year Avid gives us lessons that it is worth waiting and their arm twisting upgrade policies always end up in failures with people holding onto older versions of their Pro Tools HD software.
+++1
Old 10-18-2015, 06:19 AM

+++1

Darryl Ramm
Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
  • Avid Everywhere
  • Freeze

Wow, and yes these are reservations that I had about the subscription model, there is no promise that anything new will come.....

It's a faith based model, b/c they already have all your money...they don't really have to do anything new.

This is in direct contrast to the old upgrade model which was feature dependent, if you didn't have the features people didn't upgrade
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:22 AM

People have changed too.

Previously you froze your system and used it for all eternity if it worked like a charm. Now, you absolutely must have the latest and greatest that works with your iCloud and whatever. That (not freezing the system) drives the costs up.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Wow, and yes these are reservations that I had about the subscription model, there is no promise that anything new will come.....

It's a faith based model, b/c they already have all your money...they don't really have to do anything new.

This is in direct contrast to the old upgrade model which was feature dependent, if you didn't have the features people didn't upgrade
I think it's the opposite. People will not renew if there are no new features. Doe flow will dry up so Avid is under the gun to produce. AES NYC is at the end of the month and Avid is there. Let us see what happens.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
I think it's the opposite. People will not renew if there are no new features. Doe flow will dry up so Avid is under the gun to produce. AES NYC is at the end of the month and Avid is there. Let us see what happens.

Well the OP did just say a year has went by without the top 3 promises being fulfilled....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:34 AM

He did say that but his renewal time is not here yet. That first renewal date is where the rubber meets the road. pretty sure Avid will pull something out of thin air at AES in 2 weeks. If not...
Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 PM

That must show us HD owners something until the end of 2015...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0