Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Playback Issue

MacBook Pro 2009
Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mbox 2 USB
Mac OSX 10.9.5
Pro Tools 10
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

When I try to playback my session through the Mbox2 no sound comes through the headphones or monitors. I can record and hear what I'm playing through the headphones through the interface, but when I play it back to listen or overdub, no sound comes out, however the meters on the screen are moving and the regions are active. My headphones work and my volume is up. The lights on the Mbox 2 light up.

I set the playback engine to the Mbox 2 and I made sure that all the I/O are set to default. I thought it was something wrong with my Mbox2 interface, but then I borrowed a friend’s Avid Mbox (Mbox 3) and installed the drivers and I am having the same problem. Pro Tools can play back if I select the computer speakers (Pro Tools Aggregate Output) as my playback engine. So Pro Tools can recognize the interface, but it cannot play back through it.

I have also tried adjusting the driver control panel (setup →hardware). I tried to set the Mbox 2 as the default “audio device” for inputs and outputs as opposed to the built in mic or pro tools aggregate I/O.

In summary, it appears that the guitar/instrument is interacting with the interface properly (I can hear an instrument through the interface with or without pro tools on), but the interface and pro tools are not interacting properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Playback Issue

Welcome to the community.

Pro Tools 10 is not qualified on Mavericks (see this article), but your audio problem is more likely an incompatibility with the Drivers and your Core 2 Duo Mac (which is untested/unsupported) running Mavericks. The Mbox 2 Drivers page has a link for Core 2 Duo Mac users to this article which explains the issue.

Options would be to switch your OS to Mountain Lion or try putting the Mbox 2 on a USB Hub.

Hope this helps,
JC
Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Playback Issue

Thank you for the information! I guess I will have to downgrade my OS. I tried the USB hub and it just gives me the DAE error 743.

I also have PT 11.2.1 and given the info on that first link, it seems like even if I upgrade that to 11.2.2 it still would not be compatible with OS 10.9.5, is that right?