Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2004, 11:32 PM

Default About the Troy movie

So I just got done watching "Troy", and it was a very good movie, but................. I wanted you DUC'ers to take notice to this when you go see it for yourself, pay attention to the ADR work. Especially during the boat scene in the beginning of the movie. I must say it was NOT done very well, off sync stuff going on. Also, listen closely towards the end of the movie during the Achilles Vs. Hector scene, when they are talking before the battle. Brad Pitts ADR sounds horrible, as if it was recorded in a bathroom, and a bit phased. Other than that good movie.

Old 05-15-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: About the Troy movie

I found this to be very interesting -

Gabriel Yared’s score for Troy was almost complete... then they canned him, all his hard work and the months of music that was already recorded (full orchestras and Choirs!).

This all happened about a month and a half before the movie was to be released. Talk about a raw deal...

They went with “Horner” at the last minute. Yared’s stuff for the Troy can be heard here at his site. Just click on the News link. (you need the latest version of Flash Player to view the site)

http://www.gabrielyared.com/flashsite/index2.htm

This is a statement by Yared right after he got fired.

http://www.cinemusic.net/blog/troy_statement.html

dk
Old 05-15-2004, 02:28 PM

I followed dkrz's second link and read on. "..Macedonian singer, Bulgarian choir, Eastern European soloists..etc." stuff sung in Macedonian, Bulgarian and generally anything but Greek or perhaps ancient Greek.. seems peculiar.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:16 PM

Uh.. are their any Greek actors in the movie?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-16-2004, 10:38 AM

Some of the movie was shot at Sheperton,,so it is possible there could have been some extras flown in from Wood Green or Harringay North London,,
Old 05-16-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I found this to be very interesting -

Gabriel Yared’s score for Troy was almost complete... then they canned him, all his hard work and the months of music that was already recorded (full orchestras and Choirs!).

This all happened about a month and a half before the movie was to be released. Talk about a raw deal...

They went with “Horner” at the last minute. Yared’s stuff for the Troy can be heard here at his site. Just click on the News link. (you need the latest version of Flash Player to view the site)

http://www.gabrielyared.com/flashsite/index2.htm

This is a statement by Yared right after he got fired.

http://www.cinemusic.net/blog/troy_statement.html

dk
Raw deal indeed. That really blows.

I remember being on the mix stages on the Warner Bros. lot as an intern, and see up and coming re-recording mixers get fired, and have their careers ruined, because of something out of their control.

It's the nature of film business. Nobody cares about anybody but themselves. There is so much money involved, it can bring out the worst in people. I've seen it first hand. The big shot producers and directors sometimes don't care about folks like us enough to realise how much their poor judgment and bad decisions can really mess with our lives.

-BD
Old 05-16-2004, 02:26 PM

I noticed some crummy ADR too in Troy. But I, on the other hand thought it was generally a crummy, cliché movie with way too much blood and gore, stiff characters and un-inventive storytelling. Anyways, it was fun to make fun of. But to think i could have been somewhere hearing/playing music instead of at the movie theater those 3 hours... oh well.

Squish the Squid Productions
Old 05-17-2004, 03:30 PM

to think someone got paid a decent pay for that work...............hahah arg, i could have done better with my own equipment.