Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Default I/O setup for Pro Tools 11 and Presonus 16.4.2 AI

Here is what I want to do: Record 16 individual channels from my 16.4.2 AI to PT11........No problem, does it easy 1:1, 2:2, 3:3, etc. What I want to do is play back the recorded audio through the respective channels (1:1, 2:2, 3:3, etc) and be able to control it from the board, not just from the computer screen. So, I set the I/O Inputs up as described and also the I/O OUTPUTS to Main Output (channel 17/18 of the 16.4.2 AI). Now, the I/O section on each channel shows the inputs for each channel. QUESTION: What does each channel OUTPUT need to be? Output, or a BUS, or what to get it back to each individual channel? This is a Win 7 PC, 8gb RAM, Quad Core AMD, SSD HD. I do not have a problem recording and mixing off the computer but like I said, I want to bring each channel back through it's on channel in the 1642AI so that I can work with the FAT section and do mixing from it. Does this make any sense?
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 AM

Default Re: I/O setup for Pro Tools 11 and Presonus 16.4.2 AI

wpawley: I am real curious how your Presonus 16 is working with PT. I recently bought a 24.4.2 and basically gave up! PT kept throwing errors left and right..

But anyway, I think I know what your trying for and its pretty easy. Once you have your tracks recorded, I think you mentioned that the output of each individual analog TRACK is set to go to your main mix, THATS part of what you want to change. What you will do is take analog TRACK 1 and set ITS output to be CHANNEL 1 in your PRESONUS. (I think you set up your I/O for all 16 ports you have).. Set analog TRACK 2 to be CHANNEL 2 and on its output.. Do all your Tracks till your whole project is set.. Then, on your presonus, near the top of the face of that thing is a "firewire" button.. Got a kind of usb figure printed on that. You want to hit every one of these so they light up for EACH track that ProTools is giving to your presonus. This button tells your presonus to listen to ProTools audio information INSTEAD of listening in one the analog IN's.. From that point, just hit play on PT and your mixing decisions on your presonus is now controlling your mix.

Hope this helps.. Still curious about your setup, firewire ports, computer etc. Not that I will change my setup but curious if you ever see ASIO changed settings errors ever?

Best to you!
joe
[/B]GigaByte X58A-UD3R, i7 950 @ 3.07GHz | 24GB | 4 - 1TB WD drives | NVIDIA GTX 670MX; Win 7. | PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400 and RME audio PCIe to MULTIFACE audio interface to PC. | Studio One Pro 2.6.3 | Melodyne Editor 2.1.2 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia Sampletank 3 | Roland Fantom X | AKAI Z4 | Roland RD600 | Gibson L4ces guitar | Loduca-Warmoth custom guitar | Warwick thumb bass | VOX tonelab SE & LE
Mesa Engineering 45 amp.[/B]
Old 04-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Default Re: I/O setup for Pro Tools 11 and Presonus 16.4.2 AI

So far, I have not had any trouble with PT or the Presonus talking to each other. I'm running a PC with an ASUS mother board, AMD Quad Core processor (running 3.6/3.9Ghz) (I'm not on "that" computer so exacts I can't give right now), 8Gb Ram, and a 350GB SSD. For Firewire in it, I installed a SYBA 2 port 1394B PCI express card. About the only time I ever get an error is when I do something stupid (as in getting the routing screwed up) or when transferring files from one computer to another. For some reason, can't get anything to transfer correctly. I'll figure that out eventually though.

I also have Studio One Artist and I have seen ASIO problems from it. Nothing like that from PT 11 though. One of my friends has Studio One Pro and said he had not had any trouble from it and was going to play me a couple songs from his bands latest show. Guess what? Wouldn't play any sound. Looked back into the audio setup and it was set to something he didn't even have. Reset it, saved it, went to play, again, no sound, same problem but now said something totally different. Disconnected his computer from the internet connection and reset it back again, worked like a charm. So, you may want to check that if you are having trouble with the ASIO changing on you and also check it for possible Malware.