Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Why avid has no news about EI Capitan

I just updated to it. The MBox3 still does not work with it. So, if this is the USB thing that AVID was waiting for Apple to fix this is not it. It is going to be many months before Apple updates again so if AVID cannot fix the problem without Apple doing another update it's probably time to toss the MBox and buy something that is already certified.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
I just updated to it. The MBox3 still does not work with it. So, if this is the USB thing that AVID was waiting for Apple to fix this is not it. It is going to be many months before Apple updates again so if AVID cannot fix the problem without Apple doing another update it's probably time to toss the MBox and buy something that is already certified.
I didn't see any mention of USB bug fixes in the "what's new" report for 10.11.2 so my guess would be for Avid to now supply a new driver update that resolves this issue. It is very frustrating to have to wait for hardware driver updates
Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 AM

What I cannot understand is that I have a Hercules usb audio interface that I use to dj with. It works perfectly on El Capitan. I believe it's older than Mbox3. If that company can release a driver/firmware update, then why can't Avid? I wonder what the problem is.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:48 AM

The driver for Mbox3 for Yosemite are released in 16 december 2014, maybe also the driver for El Capitan they will be ready into 16 december 2015....
Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 AM

Good One!!!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 PM

The 16th would be nice - but any time before XMAS would be good. It would be my best XMAS gift because otherwise I am going to have to drop $800 on an Apollo Duo and Thunderbolt cable.
So, a driver update for the MBox3 is worth almost a thousand dollars to me.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Why avid has no news about El Capitan

All I want for Christmas is a working Mbox 3
Old 12-15-2015, 10:01 AM

The most frustrating thing is that Avid does not have the courtesy to give it's users any kind of info about what is happening. Will the Mbox 3 driver be updated in a few weeks? months? Never? If we know, we can hold out or choose to move on with another solution. Just not saying anything makes your users really annoyed, Avid. I wonder why they don't get that?

As for people who say, "you were warned", well the point is that as already mentioned, some buy a machine with El Capitan installed already and some of us just make the stupid mistake of upgrading, forgetting that our Avid hardware usually will not work. Funny how it seems to be Avid stuff that is always late to work with each iteration of the Mac OS.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM

CartoonGuy - good post - you mention the most important thing - we have all accepted that our USB MBox's won't run on El Capitan. The shame is that AVID is not getting a time-frame for a driver update. Some of us need to know so we can make a decision about buying something else. Like you say, if we had an idea of when the driver would be released we could decide today whether to wait it out or make an alternate purchase.
And once again, I will say that once you have installed a new OS on a Mac it is incredibly difficult to go backwards - even if you used Time Machine. AND - people buying new Macs are getting El Capitan installed by default. Those of us that bought with Yosemite installed at least have the opportunity to go to the App Store and download a Yosemite installer (though that is just the beginning of a very difficult install process). Those who have bought Macs with El Capitan installed have no way of getting Yosemite from the App Store because it does not have a legacy as a "purchase."
Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just discovered a workaround, perhaps...

LIGHTBULB...

Knowing only a little bit about the inner workings of OS X audio and after more Google and forum searches, I started playing around with the AUDIO MIDI SETUP in the OS X UTILITIES folder.

I noticed that the "IAC DRIVER" icon was greyed out.

I clicked on it, the preference window opened and I saw that the device online box is NOT checked.

I CHECKED THE BOX.

Closed the IAC Driver preference window. The IAC Driver icon was no longer greyed.

I restarted my system and my Mbox Mini is now working (!).

It shows up as an Audio Output and Input option under Sounds Preferences.

Try it. Let us know if it works for you.
I uninstalled, but got to the part about IAC driver and could not see that listed in my Audio Midi Setup. Can you please explain further? I have an Mbox 3, by the way, but I figured it would be the same fix. Maybe not.