Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-31-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Future Development of TDM Plugins?

What's the Buzz? anyone even aware of ANY 3rd Party "New Products In Development", anyone Beta Testing ANYTHING?

We've "Bashed this one to death" --> But all the new Plugins and Instruments in PT HD 8 (a.i.r) are RTAS, we had any new TDM instruments since Virus Indigo?

Now, our trusty "Go to TDM Amp Sim InTheBox - Amp Farm", has been discontinued and replaced by PodFarm which is RTAS

Thank GOD Digi developed Eleven for TDM (Which I haven't tried yet, but will likely buy) - otherwise I'd be seriously "Scared for my Accel Cards"

Specifically.... any New TDM Instruments on the Horizon / Radar?

Really... if it progresses much more like this, there'll be no point in holding on to Accel Cards beyond an HD II Accel system, for decent Voice Count, and Putting TDM Plugs across AUX's -

With 8 Core Now - & soon 16 "Real Physical Core" Machines on the market, Already, I can run 200 Dverbs In the box, Natively off the CPU

The "Real Power" of TDM is Still in tact, (Delay Compensation, 0 latency monitoring, TDM Instruments, Amp Sim's (Now just Eleven), 48 Bit Mixer architecture, 192 i/o superior converter support etc...) I'm not screaming bloody murder, there is still great value in HD... I'm just starting to wonder if it's Value, ISN'T so much in Accel cards and TDM Plugins, and dumping anything beyond 1 Accel card per system, and investing in more RAM, RTAS Packages, and Newer Mac's.

If I thought there were a whole Slew of TDM Instruments, Amp Sims, and NEW Plugins in development, I'd probably see the value in maintaining an HD 4 Accel PCIx system in a new Chassis with a New Mac - v.s. Selling it or exchanging it for an HD II PCIe, NO Chassis, in a New Mac for roughly the same investment.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control

Last edited by KingFish; 03-31-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Trimming Back The Quotation Fat
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Future Development of TDM Plugins?

No offense, but I think there are far too many quotation marks in your post.

Anyway...

I have been saying for years (and have it on pretty good authority) that native is the future of Pro Tools.

For now however, the benefits of TDM are too great to give up. LE is still too crippled.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM

The future doesn't look very bright considering the lack of new HD cards and new TDM plug-ins. I really hope they release something new soon and give us a better idea of what direction things are moving in.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM

...the fact that you loose voices when using a RTAS plug on an aux makes me never want to use them. Using 4 voices for per stereo aux really adds up quick; every time I'm forced to use RTAS a lot, I always wind up having to make my playback engine larger and use another dsp chip.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 PM

I think there's still plenty of new TDM plugins, for example:
SPL range
Softube FET compressor
TC Cl1b
Brainworx ported their whole line to TDM
Abbey Road plugins
Massey
Liquid HD

And I'm sure there are many more new TDM plugins that I 't even mentioned.