Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Locked Channel order in Bus

How come when I start an ebu128 project from scratch and then go into i/o setup and try to create a bus with L R C LFE Ls Rs channel order it wont let me. It always makes a film mix order thats locked.

Also the downmixer plugin channel order is fixed at film mix order.

I want to do a dvd/ebu128 stem mix with source files in interleaved 5.1 itu/ebu order and keep the whole mix itu/ebu. Plus output a LoRo

If protools wont let me how am I supposed to deal with my source files? Externally convert before import and after printing? Surely not. What am I missing?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Locked Channel order in Bus

So when you say a bus with that order…

Busses are always created in Film order and then mapped to the order of the output path they are linked to. It's been this way since v8.

Track types similarly default to order according to the film spec.

Output Meter order should follow your selection in the IO window though so if you set it to LRCLFELsRs then the Output meters in the toolbar and transport will present in that order.

The Downmix plugin also Maps the inputs and output paths. I'd suggest running some confidence tests to double check.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So in not being able to change that bus order I'm not able to deal with itu source files from start to finish.

The only way I could finish the job was to split my source files to mono after import, re-arrange the order, re-assemble, then the same upon outputting. I wanted to apply phase coherent compression to each stem meaning I cant keep them as split mono, given that I need to make a stereo downmix bus for LoRo.

Confused as to why avid want to stick with one archaic format and not make it changeable within the project like a post audio daw should do.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Good question. I believe there is something on ideascale for this request too. Might be worth having a look and adding a vote with example workflow.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor