Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Default Midi keyboard connection questions

Hello,

I haven't really messed with the I/O in Pro Tools 11, so I'm not sure if what I'm hoping will work is even feasibly possible.

Two questions:

1. Is there any work around to use a M-Audio Radium 49 on a Mac 10.7.5? I know that it's discontinued and will only work on earlier OS. Though, I wanted to see if there is a way to still use the keyboard without having to downgrade my OS or anything.

2. Would it be possible to use a Casio CT-648 as a midi controller by connecting it through it's headphones/output that would go into my MacBook Pro's microphone line-in port? Pretty sure it won't work, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Midi keyboard connection questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BracedInAir View Post
Hello,

I haven't really messed with the I/O in Pro Tools 11, so I'm not sure if what I'm hoping will work is even feasibly possible.

Two questions:

1. Is there any work around to use a M-Audio Radium 49 on a Mac 10.7.5? I know that it's discontinued and will only work on earlier OS. Though, I wanted to see if there is a way to still use the keyboard without having to downgrade my OS or anything.

2. Would it be possible to use a Casio CT-648 as a midi controller by connecting it through it's headphones/output that would go into my MacBook Pro's microphone line-in port? Pretty sure it won't work, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!
The Radium should be class compliant so there should be no worries about needing any driver or having to downgrade you OSX version. However if you have a MIDI interface you can go 5 pin MIDI connections instead of using the USB connection.

Evidently you know nothing about MIDI as it's a digital signal and trying to feed it with an analog signal like your keyboard's headphones output to the audio input of your MBP is a fool's errand. In short - ain't gonna work.

QAPLA!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 AM

As musicman says, your Radium 49 should work. I have a Casio CT 691 which I occasionally
use as a controller keyboard by using 5 pin midi cables connected to my interface.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The Radium should be class compliant so there should be no worries about needing any driver or having to downgrade you OSX version. However if you have a MIDI interface you can go 5 pin MIDI connections instead of using the USB connection.

Evidently you know nothing about MIDI as it's a digital signal and trying to feed it with an analog signal like your keyboard's headphones output to the audio input of your MBP is a fool's errand. In short - ain't gonna work.
Ah, ok. Though, there seems to be a problem. Some sites that demonstrate how to connect a midi controller to Pro Tools 11 show a very different Midi Media Setup. So, I have no idea how to connect it. Here's what my computer shows when I go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio while I have the Radium connected through USB:

All the sites that I've gone to, such as Lynda, shows something like this:

I feel like I'm just dumb and missing something. And with the Casio, I figured that it wouldn't work, but felt like asking just to be 100% sure.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 PM

That's the audio pane of Audio MIDI setup. I'm not in front of a mac, but there should be a Window menu that allows you to switch to the MIDI pane.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM

window > show MIDI window
Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 PM

Ah, there it is. Thank you.

Now, I've been trying for a while to get this keyboard to work in Pro Tools 11, but I can't seem to get anything to recognize the keyboard. I mean, when the keyboard is plugged into the computer via USB, nothing gets recognized in the midi window or anywhere in the pro tools set up. I just suppose I'm not doing something correctly?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:21 PM

I think you need a driver for the radium. I have a super old midisport and it needs one

http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=supp...eleases=1#tabs

Check the box that says 'show older releases' under driver updates. It's in there
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I think you need a driver for the radium. I have a super old midisport and it needs one

http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=supp...eleases=1#tabs

Check the box that says 'show older releases' under driver updates. It's in there
I thought I needed that, which worried me in the first place. I have 10.7.5 on my MacBook Pro and when I tried putting the driver on it before I made this thread, all I got were error messages. I then figured out that the driver is out of date and is only supported by Mac OS 9 and earlier. So, I wanted to see if there was some way I could work around this, but I suppose there isn't. Is there?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BracedInAir View Post
I thought I needed that, which worried me in the first place. I have 10.7.5 on my MacBook Pro and when I tried putting the driver on it before I made this thread, all I got were error messages. I then figured out that the driver is out of date and is only supported by Mac OS 9 and earlier. So, I wanted to see if there was some way I could work around this, but I suppose there isn't. Is there?
There is and I think I posted it earlier - use the traditional 5 pin MIDI connections. The reason you're getting errors when trying to install the drivers off the disc you have is that even though there are drivers for OSX (according to the manual they're on there - I can't find my disc right now) is they are NOT universal binary and require Rosetta to run and the last version of OSX to support that was 10.6.8 (aka Snow Leopard).

QAPLA!