Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Moving RTAS plugins folder - ProTools 10

Now running Win7 x64 ultimate, rebuilding system from Win XPPro x86. Never had protools on the system before so hence my question. The (E:/) drive is the third partition on the same raid 1 volume that the (C:/) OS drive sits on, but is much greater in size by design. My (C:/) drive is a 50Gb partition that holds the OS and associated files only. All application bits are funneled to (E:/).
Is there a way to SEAMLESSLY get the protools RTAS plugin folder off of the C:/drive (OS drive) and onto my Applications drive (E:/)? This is accomplished easily enough with the Steinberg stuff but not readily seeing a way to do this w/PT.

And no I dont record, playback and run projects from the same phys drive as protools or the OS. The (F:/) drive is a physically separate super-fast 1Tb RAID0 where all audio, video, and project files live as well as where recording/playback occurs.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Moving RTAS plugins folder - ProTools 10

To the best of my knowledge, you must keep all the install on the C: drive. My preferred setup is to not use RAID and leave the C: drive larger. You gain no performance boost with RAID for the system drive, and you can CYA by using drive imaging software(highly recommended!!!). I use Acronis True Image, but there are other options(some are even free). My backup scheme is this: 1 keep some USB drives that do nothing but hold drive images of my system drive(actually I have images for the system drive of every computer I own). I have images of my PT system drive with just the OS with tweaks, another image with just Pro Tools installed, a 3rd image with everything installed, an image of the last working version I was running(10.3.4) and I never(NEVER) install any update without saving a fresh image first. Backup for sessions is by saving copies to 2nd and 3rd hard drives(1 being external and disconnected except for while backing up a session). I also have cloned my system drive and samples drive to spare drives that sit in a cabinet. I can swap drives in the time it takes to shut down, count to 5 and reboot(thanks to SATA drive cages). I also keep an SSD in a 3,5: caddy(fits the drive cage) so I can experiment with stuff and not risk screwing up my regular working system drive. This may seem like a lot of work, but it really isn't, and I hate downtime(I mean....really DESPISE it)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM

My understanding is the same as Albee's. In any case I can't see what benefit would be gained even if you could re-locate the plugins folder.

Are you sure you are not meaning you're wanting to move the Content/Samples etc that plugins use rather than the plugins themselves?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Just wanting to move the RTAS plugs and any support files thereof off the OS (C:/) drive. PT10 seems to work fine the way I have architected the system thus far. Just that every time I dump more plugins on the system that include RTAS versions they ALL go to C:/ drive without recourse. Cubase and Nuendo have no problem at all with redirecting plugin install points so it seems odd that PT cant do it. The VST(i) stuff I am able to redirect just fine. Admittedly I'm still learning about PT10 so for now I am a noob on its capabilities and drawbacks.

For the record I imaged my old XP system with acronis every month or so. Once I get this win7 x64 system built out the way I want it I will begin imaging it off as well. Still have the entire old system image stored away in a safe place in case I found I had to scrap going to win7x64. But then again if I want to run PT10... the old system wont do it, albeit a very solidly running system. So far no road blocks with Win7. But for now it's package by package re-install, test with all running hosts and hardware, next package, until everything is back to where I had it on XPPro.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thghgv View Post
Cubase and Nuendo have no problem at all with redirecting plugin install points so it seems odd that PT cant do it. The VST(i) stuff I am able to redirect just fine.
Well there really isn't any need to move them so other programs that offer that functionality do so probably more as a sales pitch than anything else.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM

As I get a clearer picture of what you want, I also don't think there will be any gains. Pro Tools just operates differently from other DAWs. In some ways(RTAS) its not as efficient. The attraction to PT is really down to the way it handles audio, which it(arguably) does better than any other DAW. But it does so at the cost of more processing power required. PT11 will likely offer an improvement with full 64 bit architecture, but I think we are a good 6 months away from the release, AND plugin updates, AND some initial bug fixes. On a good note, PT11 will(promised to anyway) allow for installation along side of 10.

Maybe if you post a Sandra report on your rig, someone will spot some ways that you can improve your performance

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave