Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Default DJs/Turntablists - Recording/Monitoring Question

I have my mixer going into the alternate inputs 7 & 8. I have the "Alt Source to 7 & 8" button selected. I need to record the output of the turntable AND be able to hear other tracks play while doing this.

Everything works fine if I route the turntables to 2 mono tracks with input from from 7 & 8. But when I try to use a stereo track(with input from 7 & 8), the other tracks won't play while I'm recording.

And I can't monitor the turntable/mixer output while Pro Tools plays. I record-arm the stereo track in an attempt to practice along with the other tracks but I don't get any sound.

Short version... while attempting to record the turntable output, the other tracks don't play. When playing the other tracks, I can't hear the turntables. What is preventing me from using a stereo track in this fashion?

My goal is to practice, then record some cuts & scratches onto a song. And I want the recorded track in stereo. Please help.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: DJs/Turntablists - Recording/Monitoring Question

try the opt-k shortcut which switches the audio input monitor. this is what i do, if i understand your situation correctly this should be the ticket!

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 04-22-2005, 07:33 AM

Quote:
try the opt-k shortcut which switches the audio input monitor. this is what i do, if i understand your situation correctly this should be the ticket!
Thanks for the quick response.

Can you give me some more detail on that? Is that something I should try once I open the session? Do I need to have the track selected before I Opt-K? Is "switching the audio input monitor" discussed in the manual? If so, can you tell me what chapter or topic?

Pardon the additional questions, but I'm at work and won't be able to try this until much later this evening.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 PM

no prob!

this is an over-all setting you can alternate between. it just alows you to toggle play thru a record enabled track while you are playing back audio/play the audio on the record enabled track while you are playing back. not sure where it is in the manual, but if you go to operations-->audio input monitor / input only monitor, this is the long way to the shortcut i mentioned

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2