Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-21-2020, 09:23 PM

Default Pro Tools corrupts clips - swaps audio with different clips

Hi.

I'm building a session where I'm pulling in a bunch of sound FX.

Having done this before in a separate session, I decided to import some tracks from that other session.

At first, everything was working smoothly. But at some point I saved, closed, and reopened. I think that's when the audio within those imported clips has been replaced with audio from other clips.

Is this reversible, and does anyone know how to stop it?

The clips retained their original lengths, fades, and names. But the audio within has been swapped. What used to be a sound effect of an explosion is now a voice of dialogue.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools corrupts clips - swaps audio with different clips

Depending on the specifics, it may not be reversible. Was the session you imported FROM created and last saved in an earlier version of Pro Tools?

Edit to add: "earlier version" meaning, earlier version than your current version of Pro Tools.

Here is a thread on the subject:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Clips suddenly referencing wrong audio

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 11-22-2020, 11:24 AM

Also, was there other audio in the session imported from an AAF or OMF?

System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 11-22-2020, 11:31 AM

I’ve not had this problem so I never had the opportunity to research a fix. What I would try is moving the audio files so the relink dialog comes up when opening the session. Then, since this is a file ID issue, I would manually relink to the correct files by name only. Again, I don’t know for certain that this would work but it’s worth trying.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM

IF what you are experiencing is the same as those in the thread, as it stands, the solution right now is only preventative.

Whenever I receive an AAF or a session from a sound editor, my first step is to open that session and "Save As..." in my current version of Pro Tools. Only after doing that have I been able to be certain that importing will not cause the session and files to become corrupt.

I have not needed to "Save Copy In..." to get this result, only "Save As..." where I add something to the filename to indicate "safe to import." (with AAFs, though, I always copy audio rather than link it).

Because of how bizarrely insidious this issue is, the safest way forward may be to begin again, unfortunately. As you can see from the thread, many different people have tried ways to reverse it, with no luck.

It is certainly worthwhile to try Top Jimmy's suggestion, especially if it turns out what you're experiencing is not the same issue as above.

Beyond that, whenever I update Pro Tools, I also then update all of my session templates to the current version, and any sessions I may commonly import data from.

I'll continue this until Avid offers a solution to this rather serious problem.

G.

System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 11-23-2020, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The session I was working in was originally an OMF. OMFs open (and unpack) as Pro Tools files for me. This OMF only had dialogue.

I then started add sound FX.

After working for many hours and building a lot of FX, I imported some audio track from a different session (which was probably also originated from an OMF). These imported audio tracks contained "established" sounds that I wanted to reuse.

Everything was fine at first. I edited the imported FX and was just about done. After saving, quitting, and reopening though, it was those imported FX that were now corrupt. What used to be clips of imported sound FX were now clips of dialogue (part of what came in the OMF, actually). The clip names remained the same, though, so fortunately I knew how to rebuild, and the imported clips weren't even 10% of the total project.

So at this point, I will not try to fix. I will try to avoid. I will open OMFs, and then save as. And then start building FX.

And when I want to import FX from another session, I might go into that session first, select the tracks I want, and "save copy in" to create a whole new session. And then import from there.

And this was all done in 1 version of Pro Tools (2019).