Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Xpand2 audio cuts in and out when playing notes from Midi Controller

Hi all,

Weird issue, but I am using Pro Tools First and trying to get Xpand2 to work consistently. I bring up a brand new instrument track in a brand new project, insert the Xpand2 instrument, and start playing from my Akai MPK mini controller and the sound will work for 3 seconds, then stop working for 3 seconds. Sometimes, if it stops working while I'm playing a note then that last note will sustain out for the 3 seconds. During the 3 seconds that it doesn't work I see no levels jumping or anything, so it literally isn't receiving/playing any sound whatsoever.

No matter what preset I use, whether it's drums, keys, whatever. It consistently does this. Just to test I installed another DAW (Cakewalk) and pulled up some of their free instruments and this problem doesn't occur there at all. Also, in Pro Tools, if I just insert a standard Midi track and play notes I can see the levels constantly accepting Midi sound. It's only in Xpand2 that I seem to have this problem.

Things I've tried:
- Verified there is no automation (I mean, it's a brand new track in a new project, so how could there be anyway?)
- uninstalling my MPK controller completely from device manager and reinstalling it.
- different USB cords into different USB ports (no, I'm not using a hub of any kind. I'm plugging straight into the computer's USB ports and I've tried the ones on the front and back of the computer. Same thing).
- Completely uninstalling Pro Tools and Xpand2, rebooting, reinstalling, and rebooting again.

I have googled extensively and only found one other person with the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/co...ins_sometimes/

Unfortunately there were no solutions on his post that worked for me.

I'm desperate here. I've really been looking forward to putting this stuff to use as I haven't had a Midi Controller with Pro Tools since almost 10 years ago. Here I finally have it and I can't do anything with it. I'm pretty bummed.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Oh, to be clear, the cutting in and out for 3 seconds at a time keeps happening over and over again. It doesn't just do it once and then it's fine, it constantly loops through 3 seconds of working, 3 seconds of not working (I used a timer on my phone to figure out the length of time)

Pro Tools First
Akai MPK mini MK2 LE

Last edited by xtraspecialj; 12-28-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Adding some clarity at the bottom.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Xpand2 audio cuts in and out when playing notes from Midi Controller

Well, here's a new interesting piece to the puzzle...

If I actually start recording, it works fine. I can play constantly without any interruptions in sound and when I'm done recording it plays back flawlessly. It just kind of sucks that I have to record everytime I want to fully listen to how an instrument sounds and it definitely sucks I have to record every time I want to write something, because I can't just keep writing music 3 seconds at a time...

So, I'm still looking for any ideas on how to fix this if anyone has a clue. I am pretty confident it's not the controller, since it works fine with other DAWs and it works fine with Xpand as long as I'm actually recording the music.

Pro Tools First
Akai MPK mini MK2 LE
Old 04-04-2020, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Xpand2 audio cuts in and out when playing notes from Midi Controller

Hi! Did you ever find a solution to this? I am experiencing the exact same issue.
Record and playback work fine - but if I play without recording the sound cuts in and out every 3 seconds.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:59 PM

I have same problem using oxygen49 midi keyboard. Wish someone would help with an answer to this issue