Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-26-2020, 04:38 AM

Default Corrupt PTX - can it be fixed?

Does anyone know how to fix a corrupted .ptx file???

Today is my deadline. Well, it was. I spent all Memorial Day weekend building sound FX for an animated short. I was in the process of mixing, when the power went out. No joke. When the lights came back on, the little icon on my .ptx file no longer looked like the purple Pro Tools icon. I tried to open, and it says "The document could not be opened because it was created with a newer version of Pro Tools." That's also an incorrect statement, since I was opening it with the exact Pro Tools that created it.

I tried opening it on 3 different systems, but all give me the same error.
I also already tried creating a new session and importing from this one, and I get the same error message.

Mac mini 2018
OSX 10.14.6
Pro Tools 12.10.0

Luckily I had an auto backup, but it was days old for some reason (I need to lookup and increase the backup frequency). So I lost about 40% of my work, whereas I was literally in the final stages before turning it in. It's pretty devastating, especially that I don't have time to rebuild it in a timely manner. I have other deadlines to meet.

A few details that may have contributed to the file being corrupted; it may have been a perfect storm of factors:

- I was working off of an external HD, Lacie.
- I was in the process of importing a LOT of audio tracks from another session located on another external HD. I didn't see how far the import process was, but there's no way it was near 100%.
- I had no battery backup box to give me those precious seconds to save and/or exit. So when the power shutoff, it was sudden darkness.

I've seen only a few other posts online about this error. It looks like I'm out of luck on this one, but I'm still holding a few shreds of hope that someone knows of a fix. I am also sending the .ptx to several friends to try it on their system (albeit the files won't link, but that would be okay as long as it opens).
Old 05-26-2020, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Corrupt PTX - can it be fixed?

Also, I just looked at my Audio Backup preferences.

It is enabled (checked box), and is set to seep the 10 most recent backups, and to backup every 5 minutes... so why is my most recent backup 3 days old???!!!

As mentioned, the session is located on an external. For the past 2 days, I've been building using my laptop. But when the power went out, I was using my desktop. I don't think that should be preventing it from making proper backups though.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:53 AM

What is PT 12.10.0 I wonder?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What is PT 12.10.0 I wonder?
Whoops, 2019.10.0 I meant.

Also, huge flub on my part.

I literally posted this initial message after "trying everything."

But it turns out that I was reading the auto-backup files wrong. There were almost 50 files in there, and I was starting with the one that had the most recent number first (ie file # 050). It turns out that file # 000 is the most recent. So I just found--literally a few minutes ago--that my work is saved! And I am realizing just how big of a setback that really would have been.

So, this case is closed. And anyone else who runs into this problem, I'd say just try both ends of the auto-backup files, because they apparently number in reverse order.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:56 AM

It is documented in the Pro Tools Refence Manual which 99% of the users never read...
Old 05-26-2020, 08:20 AM

I set my auto backup to every minute, max files. It takes up more drive space but it’s easy to delete the unwanted files. It hurts to lose work.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM

Whenever I go to backup versions, I click to sort with the most recent at the top(most recent is almost always the one I want)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave