Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Will there be an Avid S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post
And it does not make sense as the Dock images show a large waveform in the middle of the screen and parameters on the left and right side aligned to the two sets of four knobs on each side that would not align with the S1 knobs.
You don't mean this image, do you?

Because that's an EQ curve not a waveform.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Avid

Ha, thats a very old image (of the old App with the nonexistent EQ curve) ;-)

To clarify: The old Pro Tools Control App will go away and the new Avid Control will take its place. It will be both iOS and Android compatible and work in portrait or landscape. It will scale to different screen sizes and resolutions. We dont have a list of supported models yet but the current supported iPads should be OK and most reasonably powered Androids. (I have it on my Amazon Fire 10, its not as fast as an iPad but OK for the meters screen) All the usual tabs from the old app will still be there (just enhanced with the new UI and new features like EQ/DYN curves) In addition to these there is another tab called Meters that shows the S6 style meters display. The App will work in 2 modes, master and slave. With just one tablet connected in EuControl it will be in master mode and all screens visible including the new meters screen. If you add a second tablet along with an S1 it will automatically go into slave mode and the meters zoomed out full screen. The meters then follow that S1's tracks.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post

To clarify: The old Pro Tools Control App will go away and the new Avid Control will take its place. It will be both iOS and Android compatible and work in portrait or landscape. It will scale to different screen sizes and resolutions. We dont have a list of supported models yet but the current supported iPads should be OK and most reasonably powered Androids. (I have it on my Amazon Fire 10, its not as fast as an iPad but OK for the meters screen) All the usual tabs from the old app will still be there (just enhanced with the new UI and new features like EQ/DYN curves) In addition to these there is another tab called Meters that shows the S6 style meters display. The App will work in 2 modes, master and slave. With just one tablet connected in EuControl it will be in master mode and all screens visible including the new meters screen. If you add a second tablet along with an S1 it will automatically go into slave mode and the meters zoomed out full screen. The meters then follow that S1's tracks.
Can you give your personal suggestion on what the minimum iPad spec would be for 100% smooth performance? Would a first gen iPad Pro 9.7" have enough power to run the app without any stutter or lag?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
You don't mean this image, do you?

Because that's an EQ curve not a waveform.
Yes it is but presumably - again all conjecture without a product or a manual out yet - when you click on different modes - "Dynamics", "EQ" - you get a waveform, eq curve etc whatever is relevant to display in the center of the screen. This screenshot has the EQ curve in center as you can see with "EQ" selected within channel mode. If you click Dynamics I think the eq curve would go away and perhaps waveform appears.

But my question simply is - does the app display differently for Dock then S1 given its knob configuration and basic operating mode is different given their functions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control App Screenshot.jpg (36.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Can you give your personal suggestion on what the minimum iPad spec would be for 100% smooth performance? Would a first gen iPad Pro 9.7" have enough power to run the app without any stutter or lag?
Because of the new features I would expect about 10% hit in performance compared to the old App. If its running smoothly now then it should be acceptable. At the moment we are concentrating on finishing up the features(nearly done) and then we will start on bug fixing and performance. We have most models of iPad and quite a few Androids now so we try and make it the best speed we can for the most amount of units.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Eddy does the new app appear differently for dock than the S1 to align screen parameters with knobs along the bottom vs on each side and large center display with dock?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM
Avid

No the App is the same, BUT the meters screen lines up with the S1 and the rest of the screens have a similar layout to todays App and line up with the Dock
Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No the App is the same, BUT the meters screen lines up with the S1 and the rest of the screens have a similar layout to todays App and line up with the Dock
Ahh I see.

So if you own both Dock and S1, the intention/typical use case is for app on S1 to be in tracks mode on its iPad and all the other modes on the dock iPad?

And if you want to use channel mode on S1, then like the Artist Mix you can simply use the knobs and the buttons and the OLED displays on the control surface to navigate around?

The bottom of the command keys screen integrate with the top buttons of the dock so maybe ignore those on the S1?

As you can see I am trying to get my head around how the one app serves the S1 and the Dock physical layout/workflow and its probably simpler than I am making it out to be.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 AM
Avid

There will be videos of all this coming nearer the release time
Old 09-11-2019, 11:57 AM

We appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions for us, Eddie. I think the next logical question for me is regarding the possibility of an additional tablet without an S1 to use as a dedicated master meter display. So, a tablet in the Dock(master), tablet on an S1(slave) and an extra tablet (no other hardware) dedicated for S6 style meters. This scenario would pretty much “bullseye” all of my needs for the setup at home.

Thanks,
Chris
• Avid Dock,
Artist Series Mix & iPad 7th gen & EuCon 2022.9
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1 (7.1.4 pending)

www.quesound.com