Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Default Sibelius 7 Audio Engine

Mods, feel free to redirect this to a different forum if necessary.

At home I have HD|Native happily running on a Mac Pro Quad-Core. PT is 9.0.6, OS is 10.6.8. I use a Digi 002R as the main interface, the 400 to 800 cable works fine. Everything is hunky dory (except being able to leave mix stems in hard input unless I hook up a 192 as well), and since the 002 has the Black Lion mod the system even sounds reasonably good.

In a fit of irritation I finally jettisoned Finale and crossgraded to Sibelius 7.1.2. It is indeed a much more rational approach to notation than Finale. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any way to get Sibelius to recognize the 002. In the Audio Engine Options dialog Sibelius sees PT HD|Native, PT Aggregate, and all the built-in I/O, but the 002 doesn't come up. I reloaded the FW family driver again just to be sure, but no dice.

Next I hooked up an RME Fireface 800, and sure enough Sibelius recognized it. This leads me to believe that Sibelius can't use the existing 002 driver. Interestingly, Sibelius recognizes the 002 in all of the midi dialogs, but I think that is controlled by the DigiDioMidiDriver plugin, not the device driver.

I know that the now-elderly 002 is a single-client only user of Core Audio, but I'm not asking it to switch between Pro Tools and Sibelius on the fly (although that would be nice)--I'm just trying to hear Sibelius through my main monitors via the 002 without Pro Tools even running. I'd experiment and install the standalone Core Audio driver for 10.6, but I'm really not interested in screwing up Pro Tools. I'm using Sibelius mostly as a way to proof the stuff I write in Pro Tools and make it more human friendly, so ReWire isn't really the way I want to work.

So does anyone have a similar situation? If possible I'd like to keep the 002 as the main interface since the analog section sounds pretty decent, but if I have to I'll put the Fireface in instead.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest