Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Frightening development

Yesterday, everything worked fine.

Today.....

My comp is no longer seeing either my external firewire hard drives OR Digi 002. Windows Device Manager reports the firewire card is functioning correctly. I have removed the card, rebooted, replaced the card, rebooted, and still nothing. I have hooked up each component individually with multiple cables between reboots.

The only hardware switch I have not tried yet is a different firewire card -- would have to go buy one to do that, and since Windows sees it without errors, I'm not convinced it is the card itself.

I don't believe it is a Digi issue since my hard drives aren't being seen either. Since Windows says the card is okay, I have to believe that the physical components are fine.

Nothing has changed since yesterday -- I shut down a working system after a session and now I have only a computer that cannot do my work.

Any Windows gurus out there have a suggestion? Microsoft's site was helpful but resulted in no solutions.....
Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Frightening development

If you're connecting your firewire drives thru the firewire port on the 002r, I would suspect the "dreaded power supply harness" issue. Good news? Call tech support and tell them you have the power supply harness issue and they'll overnight you a new harness at no cost. They even sent me a new power supply. It was a 30-minute fix and there has not been an issue since.

Check and see if your "1394" light is on (front panel of the 002r). If not, I'd suspect this as the problem.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 AM

Well, the drives are connected to their own port, not through the Digi.

Re lights -- the green Link light on the back of the Digi is lit, so there appears to be a circuit completed. The red 1394 light on the front is not lit, and the omnipresent blinking MIDI light is not, either. I do have green on the 44.1 light.

Even if the power harness is the issue for the Digi (which I doubt), I should still be able to see the hard drives -- especially when I remove the Digi firewire cable and have only one hard drive going into the computer.

I still suspect some stupid little Windows setting that got nudged between yesterday and today....

Thanks for the idea; I'll get hold of Digi for a power harness but still think there is something else going on.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:30 AM

Which qualified FireWire card do you have installed?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 AM

good chance you're firewire card is dead. happens sometimes...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 AM

Rail, I have the SIIG NN-440012 card. It has worked perfectly till now.

I'm guessing that the card is dead....Digi tech support thought so as well.