Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Re: News From Cytomic AAX2

I hope Avid chimes in here, but I find it hard to believe it's really all that difficult. I was working with a particular developer (that uses their own copy protection) and when the new Pace signing was introduced he was able to get me a new build within one day, meeting the new requirements. Also, take a look at the developers that use their own copy protection (not iLok) that have already released 64-bit compatible versions: DMG Audio, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance, to name just a few…
Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM

We require digital signing to verify that the plug-in binary hasn't been modified from when it was built. I think we've admitted before that this is really a lose-lose situation for Avid as we don't get any revenue from it, but we felt it was important to help keep the platform solid and to help protect small plug-in companies businesses. Most plug-in companies agree with our decision to add this to the platform, but of course not all.

We have required digital signing for AAX since before we first shipped PT10. It is simply a script that runs after your build that generates the signature and tags the plug-in binary. In most cases, adding this step is pretty straightforward. But in some cases, like Cytomic, their own copy protection scheme worked by modifying the plug-in binary after it was built, which invalidates the signature.

Dave
Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTremblay View Post
We require digital signing to verify that the plug-in binary hasn't been modified from when it was built. I think we've admitted before that this is really a lose-lose situation for Avid as we don't get any revenue from it, but we felt it was important to help keep the platform solid and to help protect small plug-in companies businesses. Most plug-in companies agree with our decision to add this to the platform, but of course not all.

We have required digital signing for AAX since before we first shipped PT10. It is simply a script that runs after your build that generates the signature and tags the plug-in binary. In most cases, adding this step is pretty straightforward. But in some cases, like Cytomic, their own copy protection scheme worked by modifying the plug-in binary after it was built, which invalidates the signature.

Dave
Thanks so much for chiming in Dave. Great to hear it from the "horse's mouth".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTremblay View Post

Dave
Great explanation!

Thank you!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10