How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Default Mbox Pro / iMac Problems

Hello,

I decided to upgrade my set up, so just purchased a new iMac a few days ago and and Mbox Pro (3rd Gen) w/ Pro tools 9. I am having issues getting the Mbox Pro to work. When I install the driver for the the Mbox Pro and I turn it on, the Power light blinks and the Spkr light stays lit, but only on Green and can not get any sound or use any of the functions.

When I uninstall the driver I can plug in an instrument and get sound out of my monitors, but I can't use it pro tools, so it basically just works as a pre amp for my monitors.

Has anyone had this problem recently and found a way to fix it? I have all the recent software and driver updates. Below is my set up, any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

iMac (Purchased 12/30/11)
Operating System: OS X 10.7.2 (Lion)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB RAM
Software: Pro Tools 9.0.9
Hardware: MBox Pro 3 (Latest driver update v.1.0.14)

Happy New Year!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro / iMac Problems

I am also experiencing problems on my new IMac using the Pro interface with Protools 10. I downloaded the latest drivers and I cannot seem to get a consistent input stream. The box disappears after configuring the inputs.

I'm a former Sonar and PC guy and After a couple of very long days of trying to get this working, I'm regretting my decision. Maybe it's me...it shouldn't be this difficult and it should be straightforward.

Are there any good tutorials on configuring the hardware for Mbox Pro in Protools 10?

Many thanks in advance,
Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Big problems here as well. As soon as I turn on my mbox my mac shuts down. I've been installing and uninstalling an reinstalling for 3 days now and I'm tearing my hair out.

The frustrating thing is that my mbox works just fine with my pc.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Hey Guys,

I found a solution.

Austin4, make sure you are installing the updated driver, I had the same problem when I installed the driver that came in the packaging. You can download the update here: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=375655

Once I did that , it still didn't work, but it stopped crashing my computer when the mbox pro was turned on.

What i did do that made it work was I Zap the PRAM and reset the SMC. Sound like another language? Did to me, but it worked and it was simple! I got the straight from Avid. (Instructions Below)

I have been a mac user for the past 8 or 9 years, once I started, I never went back to a PC. The problem is apple is always ahead of the curve, so sometimes it takes a minute for everyone to catch up when the update their operating system. Trust me, the mac destroys PC with no problem. Once you are familiar and up and running, you'll notice.

Hope this was a help, the PRAM Zap and SMC reset instructions are below.

Zap the PRAM on you Mac:

To zap your PRAM :
- Shut down your computer.
- Hold down the Command (Apple), Option (Alt), P, and R keys.
- Turn on your computer and continue to hold these keys down. The Mac will chime once normally and the screen will remain black for a few moments. On the second chime, release these keys.

If your firewire audio interface is still not recognized you may need to reset the SMC (System management controller on your Mac:

For portables:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

For desktops:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806

If you need help with this you should contact Apple support directly.

www.apple.com/support/
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Awesome! Everything works as it should.

And the world was right for a time.

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Hi Ehgon,

I had a similar problem and it was solved by assigning the outputs in the MBox Pro section in the System preferences. By assigning these outputs my lights stopped blinking and the speaker switch toggled through the colours. I had to go to setup in the Mbox Pro and then outputs and assign outputs. Hopes this helps.

Jamie
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM

I installed Mbox Pro drivers and then - Pro Tools 10 last month with my iMac 27. I had NO problems, it is all very smooth! So we have happy customer here

Yet I noticed some minor problems:

1. Mbox Pro guitar tuner doesn't work (the topic was already covered in some forum here).

2. I CAN't make second pair of speakers work. I do everything according manual (plug them to outputs 3-4, mark them in Mbox Pro settings window). Yet when I hit "Spkr" button, it turns red (as it is supposed to) but second pair of speakers stays silent.

Does someone have solution for this one? Please?

Host: iMac 27" QuadCore i7, 3.4GHz/32GB RAM/768 GB size internal SSD HD. OS X 10.8.3. Interface: Avid Mbox 3 Pro. Monitoring: Yamaha HS80M + Avantone MixCubes. Two external HD (7200 rpm, 64 cache): Buffalo DriveStation (for audio projects) + OWC Pro (for instruments' libraries). Instruments and plugins: NI Komplete 9 and East West Complete Composer's Collection 2 and other.

Moved from Cubase 3 to PT10+MboxPro. Very happy with PT10!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Go to ur Mbox app and go into setup. There will be an area that addresses the speakers and the colors assigned. That will be in the "output" section. As to the tuner, make sure u have the latest driver for ur box. Uninstall the old first then install the new.

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks, jryser!

Problem solved! Actually there are two things in Mbox app I had to do:

a. In "setup > output setup": assign "Speakers B (Red LED)" in Analog outputs 3/4

b. In Mbox audio mixer part go to "Outputs 3/4" and raise faders 1-2.

And it works perfectly! So my apologies. Good MboxPro, stupid me

Host: iMac 27" QuadCore i7, 3.4GHz/32GB RAM/768 GB size internal SSD HD. OS X 10.8.3. Interface: Avid Mbox 3 Pro. Monitoring: Yamaha HS80M + Avantone MixCubes. Two external HD (7200 rpm, 64 cache): Buffalo DriveStation (for audio projects) + OWC Pro (for instruments' libraries). Instruments and plugins: NI Komplete 9 and East West Complete Composer's Collection 2 and other.

Moved from Cubase 3 to PT10+MboxPro. Very happy with PT10!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM

I was trying to work with memory when I guided u and so I am thrilled I was able to help! Yay you!!!

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!