Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Default controlling plugins on split stereo material

When receiving OMF's stereo music files are split/dual mono. When mixing I group these to allow ganged volume control, but is there a way to link plugins?

For instance I want to EQ out some room for the dialogue when there is music with lyrics playing under it. Having to go back and forth between the two channels to audition the EQ is a PITA. Bussing them to a stereo aux would work, then adding stereo plugin to aux return, but that is another layer of complexity.

Should I just convert all dual mono tracks to stereo tracks when receiving the OMF? I would love to know how you guys handle this.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 AM

Default Re: controlling plugins on split stereo material

Hello, I suggest that you drag the mono tracks into a stereo track.

To make your workflow faster: create a suitable template.
My tv setup looks like this.

- Dialogue and Music/FX aux Masters

- empty mono and stereo fx tracks,

- an empty track with my favourite plugins with necessary parameters ready for automation. I just alt + drag and drop the plugins to the tracks who needs it

- Reverb auxes, etc

- a Master aux with a send to a re-recording track.

This way I can clean up an omf containing 40+tracks, ending up having only 20 tracks or less.. Much easier.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cananball View Post
When receiving OMF's stereo music files are split/dual mono. When mixing I group these to allow ganged volume control, but is there a way to link plugins?

For instance I want to EQ out some room for the dialogue when there is music with lyrics playing under it. Having to go back and forth between the two channels to audition the EQ is a PITA. Bussing them to a stereo aux would work, then adding stereo plugin to aux return, but that is another layer of complexity.

Should I just convert all dual mono tracks to stereo tracks when receiving the OMF? I would love to know how you guys handle this.
Hi,

Create a group of the tracks, go to groups/modify groups/globals and on the left you'll see a list a-J. a being the first plugin insert and so on. tick the box for control and bypass. now the plugins will be controlled together in that group.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks for your replies. Good to know it can be done both ways!

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Create a group of the tracks, go to groups/modify groups/globals and on the left you'll see a list a-J. a being the first plugin insert and so on. tick the box for control and bypass. now the plugins will be controlled together in that group.

Chris
come to find out this is HD only. I see an HD native in my future...anyone wanna buy an 003?