Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Default What are track folders, and what is the magic therein?

I just wanted to use that phrase. So please read...

I don't expect Avid to implement track folders, at least not how other DAWs do it. Avid's gotta Avid, right? So, is there a way they could implement track folders via the current groups function? Like, just add a mod key for clicking on a group name or even on a track within a group, and it collapses the tracks? We can already specify how a bunch of related tracks are affected by editing, soloing, etc. Anything else I'm missing regarding track folders, that couldn't be worked into PT's groups scheme?
Old 12-11-2019, 09:11 PM

Default Re: What are track folders, and what is the magic therein?

As a Reaper user, I love folder tracks, and consider them nearly essential. They help organize the project and keep everything in full view that you want to work on, while hiding the things you don't. I don't know how other DAWs implement track folders, but there is more than just a visual aspect to folders in Reaper. When you put tracks into a folder the output of all the tracks is routed to the folder track and combined as if you were using them with a buss. In essence, the folder track is a buss. It's a quick and easy way to, for example, create a drum buss, or combine background vocals etc. The folder track has all of the capabilities of any other track in that you can add FX, route it anywhere, use automation and create automation items. Folders can be nested.

And yes, there is the visual aspect. In the editor there are three views.
1. Full size with an indentation to indicate the tracks that are in the folder
2. A smaller size view of the tracks in the folder that still shows waveforms, but with a smaller size for visual clarity and organization.
3. A closed view. The folder track remains full size, the tracks in the folder are closed and appear below the folder track with a thick line below it indicated each track in the folder that is not being shown

In the Mixer view, the folders open and close, much like you describe. Click to open and all of the tracks are shown. Click to close and all but the folder track disappear. The folder track has indicators to tell you it is a folder and whether it is open or closed.

Like most DAWs, all individual tracks, whether in a folder or not, can be hidden or shows in both the editor and mixer, and can be routed pretty much anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I just wanted to use that phrase. So please read...

I don't expect Avid to implement track folders, at least not how other DAWs do it. Avid's gotta Avid, right? So, is there a way they could implement track folders via the current groups function? Like, just add a mod key for clicking on a group name or even on a track within a group, and it collapses the tracks? We can already specify how a bunch of related tracks are affected by editing, soloing, etc. Anything else I'm missing regarding track folders, that couldn't be worked into PT's groups scheme?
Old 12-12-2019, 04:58 AM

I heard from someone that they already had track folders working nicely in a beta version but didn't know when it would be added to the release version. Impatience intensifies ��
Old 12-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbod0 View Post
I heard from someone that they already had track folders working nicely in a beta version but didn't know when it would be added to the release version. Impatience intensifies ��
This makes me feel better about paying for another year..
Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

The magic is much like that of a bag or backpack in an RPG or FPS. You can put as much stuff in there as you want and it never gets any bigger or heavier!

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-12-2019, 11:04 AM

just even ways to delineate things in the clip list.....sort by track and or color, have a line between each alphbetical /track division...BOLDER TYPE!!! good god, i have literally thousands of clips on some episodes, trying to parse thru things squinting.......
Old 12-12-2019, 11:27 AM

I know for certain that track folders are on the radar. While not having them has never been an issue for me, I can see the need.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I know for certain that track folders are on the radar. While not having them has never been an issue for me, I can see the need.
I took the survey on Avid Link (thinking I could use the extra 15% on reinstatement... NOPE! ) and track folders was on the list.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Logic's track folders are the bomb.

You have a summing option.. for example you can click on multiple VI tracks and wrap them in a folder, and when the folder track is highlighted you can play all the VI's at one time with only one track highlighted.. great for creating stacked sounds. Or there's just a plain folders option for organisation..and that's what they are for, organising, much like organising your files in folders on your OS.

Pro tools gets very messy vertically in big projects.. that's why folders would really help..
You could put all drums in there for example.. and you could have a master clip that combines all the folders content so you only have to move one clip around, copy/paste, etc.

BTW, Avid already confirmed folders are coming.. I think they are just delayed as they probably proved harder to add than they thought. I don't think they would have blatantly lied about it.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
this makes me feel better about paying for another year..
+1. 100%