Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-01-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Mbox2 - Can I get a refund ?

The compatibility issues with the Mbox2 are absolutely insane! I don't understand why the R&D people at digidesign and thier programmers would design a product that won't work on all computers. Between chipsets, USB Hubs and RAID/SCSI etc. it is enough to drive anyone crazy! I am wondering is there a way to be refunded rather then put up with this nonsense. I don't have the money for a new PC that would work with this thing, nor do I feel like replacing hardware such as motherboards and the like. I imagine this is going to be a major blemish on digidesign's record which is unfortunate since it is widely seen as an industry standard. In my case I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a 925x chipset and yes of course RAID/SCSI, and after getting the USB hub in hopes of an easy solution I started seeing DAE error -9060. I am throwing in the towel on this and looking for an alternative product that might actually work without a PHD in quantum mechanics.

Jeremy
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Mbox2 - Can I get a refund ?

I feel your pain. But that is the nature of the computer industry where things permutate into something new and better. Right now we heading toward a era of pentium d's and quad processors. I am sure my pentium-m laptop wont be able to use the next version of PTLE as I understand that the technology requirements will exceed my current set-up.

Anyways, the very first thing is to make sure your set-up is compatible before purchasing any pro-tools system. And you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do so. When I purchased my OO2r early this year, I asked the salesperson I do business with if I can test my laptop first with the pro tools hardware in the store before handing over my cash. I set up behind the cashier register and we made sure it worked before I took anything home. Plus I went online to see I had a compatible computer.

People could save heartache if they did their research first.

On digi website:

Chipset Compatibility Alert

Digidesign's Mbox 2 is not compatible with desktop computers with the following chipsets:
Intel 915G
Intel 915P
Intel 925X

Pesonally when I bought the Mbox2 at a different place, the salesguy said once open I cant return it. Unless it was not working. This wsa guitar center. But I never was in a situation where I had to return it. Since I am lucky it works with my 3 yr old laptop I recieved back in dec 2002.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Eyewall,
Hold on, don't give up so fast . There are actually folks in this forum who do have a Ph.D. in quantum machanics and can probably help. The problems you have described are NOT new to the MBox 2. The compatibility issues with PTle have been around for a long time. As has been often quoted, "...PTle does not like to play with other programs on your computer." But this has not stopped a lot of folks from creating music with this application. There are typically solutions.

Have you confirmed that you have a noncompatible chipset ? If not, then you need to start talking to the folks here and providing details as to the problems you are having. Let us know more about what is you have and what is happening.

Welcome to the DUC

Dr. Dan (aka jazzmandan)
MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com
Old 01-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Well, I reread you original message and looks like you have confirmed the chipset problem. I do recall a lot of Dell 8400 users wailing about a year ago.

You tried the powered USB with no success? How about a call to Dell to ask what it would take to get you PTle compatible? I don't recall anyone ever posting afte exploring this option. Can they swap out your chipset for a compatible one? What would that cost? Wish I had a better suggestion for you.

jazzmandan
MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 PM

I recently got an Mbox 1 and got it wording with my desktop no prob but was a no go on my laptop even though pro tools installed fine but problems with playback and constand buffer errors.I fouund out my laptop was listed as non-compatible on the digi website(Dell Lattitude P3 733mgz)but i figured it must work since I could play back 20+ tracks while recording Using sonar 4(using Mbox).Well a couple days ago I was telling this to a salesguy at my local music store and he mentioned turning of ACPI on my laptop to standard PC,so I went home set it up and now it records, plays back perfectly no hiccups, errors, dropouts..go figure on a Digi certified non-compatible machine so don't give up just yet ..keep tweaking..
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 PM

I recently got an Mbox 1 and got it wording with my desktop no prob but was a no go on my laptop even though pro tools installed fine but problems with playback and constand buffer errors.I fouund out my laptop was listed as non-compatible on the digi website(Dell Lattitude P3 733mgz)but i figured it must work since I could play back 20+ tracks while recording Using sonar 4(using Mbox).Well a couple days ago I was telling this to a salesguy at my local music store and he mentioned turning of ACPI on my laptop to standard PC,so I went home set it up and now it records, plays back perfectly no hiccups, errors, dropouts..go figure on a Digi certified non-compatible machine so don't give up just yet ..keep tweaking..
Old 01-02-2006, 04:52 AM

I just bought the MBox2 last month. I have the Dimension 8400 as well. I didn't even think to check to see if Pro Tools would be compatible with a state of the art PC. Anyway, after speaking with Digidesign customer support they suggested the self powered USB Hub workaround. So I bought a "CyberPower USB 2.0 4 Port hub" from Wal Mart. This did not help the situation. I called Digidesign back and they said to try a more well known name brand like Belkin or GE. So I went to Best Buy and bought a "Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 4 port hub". Still no success. I can understand your frustration, Jeremy. I am feeling the same way after spending $2000 on a PC and $500 on an audio recording suite and then finding out I'm up a creek without a paddle. I think we need to nail down the exact make and model of the hub that the people who used this workaround successfully were using. Does anyone have any clues?

Philip G.

by the way I tried calling Dell to see what my options were about replacing my motherboard/chipset. All anyone would tell me is that they have no other motherboards that are compatible with my pc except the exact same one I have. After 3 hours of getting put on hold and transferred to about 10 different people I finally gave up.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:56 PM

Your misery has company. I too have a Dell Dimension 8400, and of course it has several compatibility issues (i.e. 925x chip, Windows Media Center etc.) Not to mention, MBOX2 has compatibility issues with my Maxtor 300GB external drive. Apparently the external drive must have an Oxford 911 chip to work. (I don't even know what that is...but...mine doesn't have it, amd it almost caused my computer to blow up...my fan went into high gear, and I thought my computer was going to explode.) I got my MBOX from Musicians Friend. They had a fantastic article on MBOX 2. It made me buy it. It unfortunately did not mention compatibility requirements. Today...I returned my MBOX 2. I practically cried as I gave it to the Fedex guy, but Dell & Digidesign had no quick fixes, other than to buy another computer. I can at least give a plug to Musician's Friend. They completely honored the return and understood the issue. They are changing their catalog. MBOX is a fantastic product, that just doesn't seem to be compatible with current systems. The Windows Media Center is "standard" in all good Dell computers now..yet..not compatible with MBOX 2. Great product, great package, great software....great disappointment. After a week of desperately trying to make it work...I finally surrendered and had to return it....Buy your stuff from Musician's Friend Catalog. They are committed to customer satisfaction, and do a great job. I hated to make this return...but face it guys....there's nothing you can do.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM

I am truly sorry ... no that is not the right thing I want to say, ...though I agree in essences with what rossrcm is saying here, but the truth is, you jumped before you looked and are now crying because you forgot the FIRST Order of Sales ... THEY WANT YOUR MONEY! ... and you didn't do your research ... I too, built a computer that should have worked but didn't, WHY ... because I didn't look before I jumped. I truly can not feel sorry for any of you crying in your beer, (Besides you are only watering it down AND warming it up! Neither is good for the beer at all, so stop) ... and oh yeah, I too did the only thing you should do ... shut-up, suck it up, move on and get what you need because Ultimately ... only YOU made the final decision, so it was actually YOU who made the mistake ... move to solve it, not cry, rant and rave in a meaningless tantrum that is getting you virtually no where.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:05 AM

Under normal circumstances I might agree with you, but the research required in this case was beyond reason. Come on! the system is not compatible with the 925X chipset? Who would even think to check that. You actually need to download software to determine your chipset. There is nothing on the MBOX2 box about chipset compatibility. It says...works with MAC & Windows, including Windows XP. Well...I have windows XP..but..I have the Media Center Edition...turns out it is not compatible with that...yet nowhere does it say...excludes Media Center Edition. (One of the most popular operating systems these days.) I agree with you that doing research before purchase is important...but the research required here is way beyond reason. You shouldn't have to pull apart a state of the art computer to look at every chip and wire to make sure every component is compatible. By the way..I did my crying and ranting yesterday...I did solve the problem...I returned it..after one week of back and forth with Digidesign & Dell...they both agreed..my only resolution was a new computer....I don't think so...you shouldn't have to spend $2000 to make a $500 piece of equipment work. I'm not knocking the product. I was truly impressed with the MBOX2 bundle. I almost wanted to keep it just to look at the beautiful product. It was unbelievable...but the compatibility issues are beyond reason...or should I say "Reason Adapted".