Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Default midi user instruments?

Hello all,

Just want to start by asking if one can build user instruments for the user instrument bank... from within ProTools LE. If so, I might have a couple more questions:).

I searched quite a bit, but perhaps I am not searching for the right criteria... its been years since I worked with midi (on classic mac, with freware:).

Am I barking up a tree that still exisits:)?
Thanks in advance,
jim
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Default Re: midi user instruments?

Quote:
Just want to start by asking if one can build user instruments for the user instrument bank
What is the "user instrument bank?"
Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Now I'm scared:). Its been several years since I last worked with midi, but there used to be three banks of instruments that could be accessed (via OMS:). One was the regular instruments, one was advanced, and one was 'user instruments'.

These user instruments were created from 'user samples'. Is there any way to create your own instruments, with your own samples (audio files), from within ProTools?

At this point I just want to know if this capability still exists
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Guess I've lost all credibility at this point:). Am running PT LE 7.4.2 on mac 10.5.8 with M-box pro. Can anyone give me the short answer to what midi banks are accessible from within ProTools?

I use midi for sound design, thanks in advance,
jim
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "MIDI banks." If you're talking about virtual instruments and their sounds, then Pro Tools comes with 5 virtual instruments- XPand, Boom, Vacuum, Mini Grand, and DB-33. (And you can buy more.) These instruments have plenty of sounds, especially XPand. You may want to visit the AIR Users Blog to see some videos of these instruments in action.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Thank you, I think that helps. I will visit the AIR Users Blog... my questons may not sound like it, but I am serious about all this:).

Let me ask, if you wanted to sample an instrument, could you, and basically how would you, load these samples into virtual instruments? And can this be done from within PT?

Thanks again for taking pitty on me:),
jim
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Yes, you can use Pro Tools to sample an instrument. You would then be able to load these samples into a sampler, like Structure or Kontakt. Russ from the AIR Users Blog has made several videos on this topic. In the videos, he sampled an electric guitar. Look for them here:

Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitby333 View Post
Guess I've lost all credibility at this point:). Am running PT LE 7.4.2 on mac 10.5.8 with M-box pro. Can anyone give me the short answer to what midi banks are accessible from within ProTools?

I use midi for sound design, thanks in advance,
jim
I seem to remember midi Banks - but tell us insted what you are trying to set up and what sounds you are specifically after. Much has changed in the last few years regarding synts and VI-instruments. Are you trying to control a D-50, SC-88 or Kontakt 4 and Reason 5?
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Hadn't yet had a chance to follow up... but will, promise:)!
Again, thank you, and best,
jim
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Hey GW,

I don't want to go on, but thank you for asking, and I'll try to answer:). I think you're right, things have changed... substantially.

I will create a sample in PT. In the good old days:) I would import that sample into a virtual midi editor (it ran native in the mac, no external gear at all). I could then build a midi instrument (loop points, LFO control of various parameters, etc.) which could be played with midi notation.

Rather than sample an actual musical instrument, my samples might be something mechanical... some part of a machine for example. I can then orchestrate (run the machine with a midi score:). Just an example...

So I am looking for a way, hopefully an easy way, to create instruments in PT. If I need an external keyboard, I would prefer it be a simple midi controller, and that everything else was accomplished within PT.

Perhaps I expect too much these days:)?

I have to admit that I haven't had a chance to follow up on those videos by Russ from the AIR Users Blog... but I plan to. In the meantime, I will take any advice offered to heart:).
jim