Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 07:47 PM

Default OT: da BaSsTaRd!...help with webserver please

da BaSsTaRd (or anyone else that might have some time to spare),

I know this is a bit offtopic, but...

I saw your server at your website ages ago and decided to take on the project myself. The problem is, I can't get it to work. The local network is speedy, and pages load from the local net. I've got a linksys router with port forwarding set to send everything to the server. Sometimes a ping seems to be responded to, but I don't think it's my computer doing the responding. I'm trying to use apache2 for webserving, but it's awfully cryptic for the novice.

Just as a check, I decided to try a FTP server, and it won't work either! Any suggestions, whether or not they work, will at least give me something to try as I'm all out of ideas.

Right now it's an XP system, but I'd be willing to give linux a shot. Anything at this point is worth considering from my view.

A big thanks to anyone who mangles some time together for a few suggestions.
-Chris
Old 08-07-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: OT: da BaSsTaRd!...help with webserver please

post here (or email me) your ip so i can test it... sounds like you got all the easy stuff worked out: port forwarding, server runs locally, etc.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 PM

I emailed you, hope it gets to you.

"server runs locally"-is that a setting, or just the fact that local network comps can see the webpage?
Old 08-08-2003, 06:30 AM

it just means that the server is running, and you can view its web pages on that machine and also on the lan...
Old 08-08-2003, 06:47 AM

If your running XP
Personal Web Server
is very simple to run.

It even has FTP.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM

Well, just to let you fellas know, I've tried everything, and confirmed my setup to be set correctly. Problem is Cox Communications I think. But not all is lost...

Swap, the server you mention that I used for the webcast was at work, not home. Work is actually a university, and setting up my own pages and what not on that server means jumping through some bureaucratic hoops. (The stream was actually done with three macs. One to run PT 24mixplus, one to be the broadcaster, and one (the main server in the department) to do the reflecting.)

We had a couple of computers in the studio that we haven't used for a while and have really just become part fodder. Part of the reason we haven't been using them is b/c their IP's were all fubar'ed. So, while our department IT guy was on vacation, I bugged the computing services department to help us out with configuring some new IP's. Without our local IT guy around, they really had to hook us up. We've got one IP that is completely set up already for functioning properly as a "super" server! Guess what, that's going to be where my server will be set up soon! I'm soooo stoked about it! The server will have virtually unlimited bandwidth (as the school has three T1's, a partial T3 and a Full T3)!

Now, that solves the server problem, but I still had webauthoring issues as I don't know diddly about any of the text markup languages out there today. But, my new boss happens to be a web designer. It's what he did to earn a living for the past twelve years up until a few months ago. He's helping me out with the site design and content in exchange for me bringing up this kick but webserver and locating it right there in our workplace without the studio there having to shell out any money on it.

Soon, I'll have a place to post all my work and tunes and files and pics and blah and blah and blah, you guys get the picture.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help out, but it appears that with Cox, no amount of troubleshooting would have ever fixed it. I am going with IIS now instead of apache, as it is just a whole lot more user friendly, and because it integrates several types of servers.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silence_of_stone:
That sounds cool... I like easy when it comes to this stufff.

I have a question though... I am getting a static IP from comcast (hopefully) and need to know -
I have currently a linsys 4 port router, 3 computers hooked up right now. The fourth PC is the one I am going to put my server on... will the static IP be only for that computer... or will my other 3 be affected by this? I want to keep them safe, and dont want my server to interfere with my other computers...
db got any ideas?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">All you need to do is assign port forwarding to the server inside your linksys configuration page. I think that site I told you about earlier, diywebserver , will talk you through it in detail with your particular router.

I recommend Setting all of your IP's manually inside the network. XP can really bog down during startup when trying to enable DHCP licenses.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:39 AM

That sounds cool... I like easy when it comes to this stufff.

I have a question though... I am getting a static IP from comcast (hopefully) and need to know -
I have currently a linsys 4 port router, 3 computers hooked up right now. The fourth PC is the one I am going to put my server on... will the static IP be only for that computer... or will my other 3 be affected by this? I want to keep them safe, and dont want my server to interfere with my other computers...
db got any ideas?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:59 AM

I have been running IIS for years and it really
isn't that hard to setup. Comes with NT and Win2k.
Just keep it patched.
I don't like the FTP part of it though so I use a third party FTP server.

But Chris, I thought you had a server already.
Didn't you run the Webcasting stuff from it?
Old 08-09-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: OT: da BaSsTaRd!...help with webserver please *DELETED*

Post deleted by David001