Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 not reading ilok license correctly

Specs:
Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2012)
3.2 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
32GB RAM
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Yesterday I upgraded this system from Yosemite to Sierra. It was running OS 10.1.5 and PT 12.1.

My ilok license is the "Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12)" Upon upgrading to Sierra 10.12.6, I went to the avid account and downloaded the installer for PT 12.8.3.

When i try to open pro tools, I receive an error message that says:
"You are trying to run a newer version of Pro Tools than allowed by your license. You can uninstall this version of Pro Tools and reinstall any version of Pro Tools that is supported by your license, or visit your MyAvid account to renew your upgrade plan."

I can't figure out why this is. My ilok has a license for Pro Tools 12 on it, and I am trying to run a version of Pro Tools 12.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 not reading ilok license correctly

From PT 12.6 and up a new, free, license is required.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-24-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
From PT 12.6 and up a new, free, license is required.
Only free if you are on a plan and if not then you need to look at what was the latest version out when your plan expired and thats the latest you can run on a non existing or expired plan.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-24-2018, 04:50 PM

That's extremely ridiculous.

My license says "Pro tools 12", and not "Pro Tools 12 up to a certain point when your support plan expired". It indeed says the word "perpetual" in the license as well. Additionally, I should be able to log in to the avid store account, and not be allowed to download installers for versions beyond the one that will work with my license. Because now I am stuck running 12.1 on my upgrade to OS 10.12.6. I don't know what actually does or doesn't work yet, but I do know it's not officially supported. It opens and launches, though.

I am no legal expert, but somewhere in there it seems like Avid may be leaving itself up for a class action lawsuit or something. I am not saying that I would be a part of bringing this to fruition in any way. it's just a scenario that popped into my head.

Being a (seemingly forced - considering I have to deliver pro tools sessions for just about everything I do) customer of Avid's really feels like just standing around asking to be punished and then paying money for it.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
Additionally, I should be able to log in to the avid store account, and not be allowed to download installers for versions beyond the one that will work with my license.
You can reach installers beyond when your plan ran out? In your My Products and Subscriptions? You shouldn't be able to -- the installers there should stop when you get to when your upgrade plan ran out. If you have later installers there, do you have another key with that license?

When did you stop paying for the support plan -- if you stopped (and with warning before) you would have received notifications to renew or you'll receive no more updates. There's no legal issues with Avid's plan because when 12 happened, you (and all of us) agreed to the terms to buy that license (perpetual or subscription) under a plan system that expires when you stop renewing. Perpetual meaning your "stop date" license freezes you there; subscription meaning you lose all access.

But if you have 12.7 installers, when was your stop date? It's possible you are allowed that and just didn't get the revised license. That 12.6 transition was harsh (I had to put in a message to support when it did not show up) with Avid's licensing system seemingly breaking down.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Question; where did you get the 12.8.3 installer? If its from your MyAvid account, then I am also confused(your account should only offer you versions you are registered for).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Checked the account using your forum email and there's a Pro Tools Academic 12.2 product in there. Based on your purchase date this was a Pro Tools EDU product that included 4 years of software releases. Under the Product Details and Download Links I see installers for Pro Tools 10.3.10, 11.3.2, and 12.2, so you have the most current version based on your entitlement. An upgrade is available here.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 PM

Hey Jeffro, I'm having the similar problem as far as installers in my account and my ilok not opening Pro Tools.

The installers in my account are for version 12.7.1. I downloaded and installed on 2 of my computers, I have 2 separate iloks both with PT 12/11/10, but neither will open. My support plans expired 3/30/17 and there is nothing in my ilok account as far as new licenses. I've read the cutoff version was 12.5. If I'm not able to authorize 12.7, why are they the only installers in my account for version 12?

Before I begin the uninstall process of 12.7 for both machines and hopefully find the right earlier version of 12 I need, I thought I would check here.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by macmusic9; 04-30-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: wrong date on expiration date in post
Old 04-30-2018, 03:18 PM

OK, after checking my dates of expiration for support plans against the release dates, my cutoff is PT 12.7.1 for both so the installers are correct in my account. My iloks are not authorizing PT 12.7.1 though. Any ideas why this would be?