Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire and USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Re: No output sound coming form my Fast-Track C600

USB Hub no go. Direct into the MacBook, no go. Just waitin' on a driver....I'm fearful that when I look at this post: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ess=y&isdtp=vw that Avid thinks it's fixed in 10.9.2.

It isn't.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Avid

Hi All,

As you know, there is an issue with no audio output from Avid USB audio interfaces running OS X 10.9. This issue affects a subset of Apple Core 2 Duo machines and is described in greater detail here. I'd like to provide an update on this issue.

It was first brought to our attention in November of 2013. A significant effort was made to reproduce this issue in-house and gather more information. Some examples:

Re: Mbox 3 Not working with OSX Mavericks
Re: Mbox 3 Not working with OSX Mavericks
Re: No output sound coming form my Fast-Track C600
Re: Mavericks and Fast Track Ultra 8r problems
Re: Fast Track Ultra & Mavericks 10.9 STILL NOT WORKING

Unfortunately, reproducing the issue proved challenging and took a while to really nail down. Once we had a system reproducing the problem, we were able to investigate root cause. We determined that code changes would be needed in Avid’s drivers, and not in OS X as once thought a possibility.

Normally, we'd try to fix the issue and release the fix as part of our regular quarterly driver update process. However, in this case the systems reproducing this issue were never qualified and never tested with OS X 10.9. The machines qualified with OS X 10.9 are the same as those qualified with Pro Tools 11. None of which are Core 2 Duo machines. As standard practice, we only offer compatibility updates for qualified systems. Where we could have been clearer is providing this information directly on the driver pages. We are fixing this by updating our driver pages to link directly to the qualified machine and OS version support pages. You can see an example of this on the Mbox driver page for driver v1.2. We will continue to improve our driver compatibility messaging so it’s clear what constitutes a qualified system.

The work required to investigate, test, and develop drivers for unqualified, untested, and unsupported systems would be extensive. It's not something we can do without sacrificing resources devoted to qualified and supported systems. We go to great lengths to provide compatibility and support information to ensure the greatest chance of success for our users. But, it’s simply not possible to support every possible system configuration. This means we won't be releasing any driver updates to address this issue. The good news is that we have reports that connecting the audio interface to a USB 2.0 hub restores audio functionality. Although, not a supported solution, it has proved to work for users encountering this issue. We have updated the following knowledge base article to reflect this information: No audio from Avid Audio Interface with Mac OS X Mavericks on some Core 2 Duo Macs

Hopefully, this adds some clarity. Thanks for your time and understanding.
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyxmartin View Post
USB Hub no go. Direct into the MacBook, no go. Just waitin' on a driver....I'm fearful that when I look at this post: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ess=y&isdtp=vw that Avid thinks it's fixed in 10.9.2.

It isn't.
Was it a USB 2.0 hub you tried? We've heard reports that USB 1.0 hubs do not work.
Berkeley, CA