Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Default Installing plug ins

I would like to install plug-ins for Pro tools 8, can some one please explain to me how I do this? Windows 7 Thank you.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Installing plug ins

Hi

we need to know more what plugins you are looking to install as there are a sea of them out there

Whats your computer and what setup do you have? RAM, Hardrives etc?

Do you have any plugins you want and if so, what are they?

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM

If I recall, the Bomb Factory Plugins that come bundled with Pro Tools get installed automatically when PT is installed. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-ins and you should see a Plug-ins and Plug-ins (Unused) folders.
All of your installed plug-ins should be in the Plug-ins folder. If for some reason they are in the unused folder, move them over to the Plug-ins folder

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi

we need to know more what plugins you are looking to install as there are a sea of them out there

Whats your computer and what setup do you have? RAM, Hardrives etc?

Do you have any plugins you want and if so, what are they?

Best Regards
Christopher
Hi, my system specs:
64bit windows 7
i5 4thgen
8gigs system Ram
Gtx760 graphics card
Two HDD.
I don't have any specific name for a plug in that I like, but I would want to download some preamp or amplifier for my guitar. I dowoaded a few and put them in the Plug-ins folder, but they didn't show up when I started a new session in PRo tools. I am using PRO tools 8 SE. Thanks for help.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Hi

When you say you "put them" in the plugin folder, did you download a plugin and install it where the plugin wants or did you just put it there yourself?

I honestly don't know how PT8 LE works but you need to use RTAS format so you need to download and install the RTAS version of the plugins ypu wanna use. the installer for the plugins should install them where they need to be. We always download to the desktop and run the installer from there.

Can you post how you installed the plugin you mentioned and what it is called aswell please

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-14-2014, 07:07 PM

I downloaded the plugin and then manually put them in the Plug in folder. The plug-in that I downloaded is called "Antares Auto-tune AAX", I got it from "http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/free-pro-tools-plug-ins/". I don't specifically want to use an Auto tune, I just downloaded it to practice installing plug-ins. All the plugins that came pre installed are all DPM, RSR file format. I could'nt find any DPM or RSR file format plug ins. Thanks for help.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 PM

If you have PT8 LE AAX versions will not work as those versions are for PT10 AAX32 and PT11 AAX64 bit.

You need to download the correct plugins and versions of those plugins in order to work with your PT version.

I never heard of RSR versions but if you want to have working plugins in PT8 you need RTAS versions and nothing else.

.dpm is RTAS and the Plugins you would look for are called RTAS when you look at websites.

None of the plugins should be "manually" put into folders, you need to download and unpack and install and the plugins will be deposited in their respective folders.

We have never manually put anything in the plugin folders and neither should you if not asked to do so while installing,
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If you have PT8 LE AAX versions will not work as those versions are for PT10 AAX32 and PT11 AAX64 bit.

You need to download the correct plugins and versions of those plugins in order to work with your PT version.

I never heard of RSR versions but if you want to have working plugins in PT8 you need RTAS versions and nothing else.

.dpm is RTAS and the Plugins you would look for are called RTAS when you look at websites.

None of the plugins should be "manually" put into folders, you need to download and unpack and install and the plugins will be deposited in their respective folders.

We have never manually put anything in the plugin folders and neither should you if not asked to do so while installing,
Christopher

Ok, I'll look for RTAS plugins and when I download them they will automatically go into the plugins folder? I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Hi

Yes they will automatically install into the correct folder and no manual labour needed

Best
Cheistopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM

I have another thread going asking if there is a guitar tuner in Pro tools 8 Se. One member posted that pro tools SE does not support Plugins. Maybe this is my problem?