Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Can't hear myself play without recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Are you asking for help? Did you follow the instructions in the post immediately above and does that not work for you?
If I understand those instructions correctly, it's simply record-enabling a track and NOT pressing the transport Record button before pressing Play. That's the obvious thing to do, I think, but it doesn't let me hear my own input.

Edit...
Forgot about the second part of the instructions. Didn't understand what he was talking about.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_pianoman View Post
If I understand those instructions correctly, it's simply record-enabling a track and NOT pressing the transport Record button before pressing Play. That's the obvious thing to do, I think, but it doesn't let me hear my own input.

Edit...
Forgot about the second part of the instructions. Didn't understand what he was talking about.
So I'm still lost, are you now working OK or not? And if not, exactly what are you doing and exactly what are you stuckconfused about? (there is no clear "second part of the instructions")... so what *exactly* is not clear/or confusing you.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-21-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEdinburgh View Post
I have tried toggling 'k'. This does not fix the problem.
For you to hear the input while record enabled but only playing, you need to be in input only mode. I'm not very familiar with SE, but it's Alt+K in every other version of Pro Tools on Windows. Hold the Alt key and press K. This should toggle between auto input and input only. If you have the menu bar at the top, look in the track menu and you should see the setting for toggling between auto input and input only.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 PM

This is my first post to this forum. I am tagging onto this thread because it seems very relevant and I don't know if a new thread would be preferable or not (trying to keep search results uncluttered).

If a new thread is preferable I'll do it. And I also promise that *I* will answer any and all replies and will post back whatever information is asked for and any solution I may eventually find (I am a big fan of netiquette).

I am completely unable to monitor input (a feature that, after many searches, I believe some would like ;-).

[Edited:]
Never mind. I see that I am in the wrong forum. The answers to my problem (Unable to monitor inputs PT 10.3, Mbox Pro 3rd Gen, Windows 7) is here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ht=low+latency (Mbox Control Panel - use Mbox Pro as stand alone mixer and monitor hardware inputs, not software returns.)

[... rest of needless post cut.]

Last edited by cycletourist; 07-13-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Posted to wrong forum
Old 09-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Can't hear myself while recording

i'm using pro tools 10 hd and the program works fine and every other program i have i can hear myself while recording (ableton live 9 suite, and sonar 8 producer edition) but pro tools i can't at all can anyone help me plz
Old 06-12-2014, 04:48 PM

brother thi is your solution go to track and shose input only monitor .you will play with your record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OipaWuJKBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEdinburgh View Post
Hi,

I am having a problem which I am sure must be a common one. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a solution searching through the forum or elsewhere on the web.

Here's the problem:
I have recorded a simple backing track on Pro Tools SE. I now want to play along with that backing track (looped) without recording what I am playing.

So I record enable the track and hit play. However, when I hit play I can no longer hear what I am playing, just the backing track. If I stop the track, I can hear myself playing again, but not the backing track. One solution is to hit 'direct monitor' on the Avid recording studio, but this requires changing the input volume of the guitar and it loses the amp synth.

I have tried toggling 'k'. This does not fix the problem.

I'd be grateful for any help that you can offer. My 'Sandra' report is below so that you can see what computer I am using.

Best wishes

Adam

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : b-6ef071c785124
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : Dell OptiPlex GX620
Serial Number : DD4****
Chassis : Dell Desktop
Mainboard : Dell 0FH884
Serial Number : ..CN1374*********
BIOS : Dell A07 03/31/2006
Total Memory : 2GB DIMM DDR2

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz (2T 3.59GHz, 2MB L2)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA775

Chipset
Memory Controller : Dell OptiPlex GX620 4x 200MHz (800MHz), 2GB DIMM DDR2 534MHz 64-bit

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Kingston KC6844-ELG37 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-4300U DDR2-534 (4-4-4-12 2-16-4-2)
Memory Module : Kingston KC6844-ELG37 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-4300U DDR2-534 (4-4-4-12 2-16-4-2)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Dell Computer DELL 1901FP
(1600x1200, 19.3")
Monitor/Panel : XER XM3-19w
(1600x1200, 19.1")
Video Adapter : ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (4PS2.0, 2VS2.0, 256MB, PCIe 1.00 x16)
Video Adapter : ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Secondary (4PS2.0, 2VS2.0, 256MB, PCIe 1.00 x16)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
SanDisk SDSSDP128G (128GB, SATA600, 1.8", SSD) : 119GB (C:)
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Local (C:) : 119GB (NTFS) @ SanDisk SDSSDP128G (128GB, SATA600, 1.8", SSD)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Intel 82801GB/GR (ICH7) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : SMSC SCH5504-NS
Audio Device : Dell OptiPlex GX620
Audio Device : Creative Labs CT0090 Audigy Player
Serial Port(s) : 1
Parallel Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : Dell 82801G (ICH7) Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Disk Controller : Dell OptiPlex GX620
USB Controller 1 : Dell OptiPlex GX620
USB Controller 2 : Dell OptiPlex GX620
USB Controller 3 : Dell OptiPlex GX620
USB Controller 4 : Dell OptiPlex GX620
USB Controller 5 : Dell OptiPlex GX620
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Creative Labs Audigy 2 Firewire Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance : x86
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM

Watch the Youtube of the post above. In Pro Tools 10 HD there should be an "I" button next to "S" (solo) and "M" (mute) for the audio track on the right. This will allow it to happen. Otherwise watch the YouTube video.

I am not sure if this works for Pro Tools SE. It's been a while since I used it. I know it is much more "toned" down then Pro Tools Express is.

I hope that helps!

-OrdinaryStory
Old 06-07-2020, 06:38 PM

I studied the previous post. Here's what I think it says, in my own words:

"Record enable the tracks that you want to be playing (The record enable button is on the each track)"

=> By “playing” he means “playing back” while I listen on my headphones and play along on a new track. he says to record enable those tracks.

"... for example your drum track, rythm guitar track and the guitar track you want to play on."

=> He says: Record enable the two existing tracks (drum & rhythm) plus a track for a new guitar part.

"When you are ready to play along with these tracks just click on the play button above to start the tracks playing so you can play along on your guitar track without recording. Do not click on the record button above where the play button is until you are ready to record."

=> he says: click on play, not record. I must have interpreted something wrong. He wouldn't say not to click on record "until I'm ready to record." That would result in recording over the previous two tracks as well. I did try it though. it didn't work.

The rest of his post talks about inputs. I don't think this is relevant to my situation. The input I choose for the new track is whatever input the mic is plugged into. Usually mic inputs 1 & 2 on my Mbox pro. It doesn't matter what the already recorded tracks used. This also referred to a "Fastrack." I'm guessing that's I/O hardware with a similar function to my Mbox.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Be careful. there's disease out there.

Last edited by bruce_pianoman; 06-07-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-07-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_pianoman View Post
I studied the previous post. Here's what I think it says, in my own words:
Why are you posting now on this ancient thread? You still having the same problem?

I cannot follow your last post including what exactly "did not work". What "previous post" exactly are you talking about? And the video referred to in one post seems to be offline.

This is just getting silly.

What exact version of Pro Tools are you using? Pro Tools SE? LE? standard? First? Ultimate? and what exact version number? On what computer with what exact interfavce? What exactly are you trying to record?

So much time wasted here and you've not ever provided this most basic info, and you are posting on an old thread in a Pro Tools SE and Essentails forum area. That junk should be long dead.

This is most likely a common beginner mistake of not undersdatnding auto input vs input only monitoring (if on Pro Tools (non-HD versions) etc. prior to 12.1) or not understanding track input monitoring (if on Pro Tools HD/Ultimate or standard after 12.1). Or being confused between the interface doing hardware monitoring and software monitoring in Pro Tools. You have different people in this thread talking about these very different behaviors in Pro Tools depending on which version you have. You are just wasting your own and other people's time by not providing the expected info here. Please start by reading "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. Folks hre will help you if you go to that effort.

You should have a Pro Tools reference Guide PDF installed on your computer an can look up track input monitoring or auto input monitoring. That is about a page of text of so to read. And the just play with toggling those things around. Start with a new session with a single track and just play around with the monitoring settings after reading the doc.

And depending on the version of Pro Tools you might just have low latency monitoring enabled without understanding the impact of that (again you can find details in the Reference Guide PDF for your version).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-07-2020 at 09:19 PM.