Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM

Default can't find installed templates

windows 7. brand new fast track c400. installed drivers, hardware, protools se. boots to quick start menu. try to open a new session or any session template and get the message: can't find installed templates. please reinstall application.

i have uninstalled/reinstalled several times, no luck. in my program files/digidesign/protools/session templates are there.. but can't be double-clicked/opened on their own and protools can't find them.. there is no way to link to them manually. not sure what to try next. if this error can't be fixed, maybe someone can send me an empty session file that i can use to get started?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Re: can't find installed templates

not one response in several hundred views from forum users... and avid support was useless too... but i solved this problem myself (i think?), so this is for anyone else with the dreaded "can't find installed templates" problem.

it seems that windows 7 64 bit computers by default create 2 program files folders.. one normal one, and one called program files(x86). this is for applications that operate in 32 vs 64bit (blah blah..)

i think that protools se installs the templates in one of these folders and looks for them in the other. to solve this, do a full uninstall from the protools in your start menu/programs list, NOT from your control panel, and be sure the delete the digidesign folder from whichever program files folder you find it in. then do a fresh install of protools (without the hardware connected). when it is done, find the digidesign folder in either program files and copy/paste it to the other. it is important to do this BEFORE you open protools for the first time. shut down, connect hardware, start up.. and problem should be solved.

hope this helps.. it took MANY days/hours to figure out.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 AM

Criminy! (To put it politely.) I've also read (on Avid's site, IIRC) that Pro Tools 10 requires Internet Explorer to be uninstalled (or never installed) before installing PT, then IE can be installed.

PT is refusing to let me save custom templates wherever it is that it pulls up the stock list of templates from. I've tried showing the folder (or was it a custom folder?) and removing the read-only protection, but it comes right back. I hope there's another solution. I don't have days to throw at such a simple problem as being unable to save a template, but I'm not finding any Windows 7 template files location info online or anywhere.

Is PT is a secret society? You'd think they go out of their way to make life hard.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:10 PM

No problems saving custom templates here with 10(or 11) and Win7. In fact, since the stock templates are somewhat useless(for me anyway) I delete all of them except my own folder of templates based on my needs(track templates are also working, and a God-send)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave