Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 11-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Default Can I change the chords of protools se loops?

I do a lot of songwriting and would like to use some of the loops that came with my Protools SE. However, I can't figure out a way to change the chords of repeated loops. For instance, if I import a loop that is a C chord, I'd like to be able to make it a progression of C, G, Am, F...but I can figure out how to do that. Is it even possible with SE? My mom's old Clavinova from the 90s can do it, so I was hoping this would do it too!

Running Protools SE with M Audio Fasttrack on Windows 7.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Can I change the chords of protools se loops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmgifford View Post
I do a lot of songwriting and would like to use some of the loops that came with my Protools SE. However, I can't figure out a way to change the chords of repeated loops. For instance, if I import a loop that is a C chord, I'd like to be able to make it a progression of C, G, Am, F...but I can figure out how to do that. Is it even possible with SE? My mom's old Clavinova from the 90s can do it, so I was hoping this would do it too!

Running Protools SE with M Audio Fasttrack on Windows 7.

The loop files you got are pre-recorded audio files. As such, they are fixed to what was recorded when it was recorded. While it is possible to pitch shift the audio with tools available in Pro Tools, I can assure you that the end result would be of poor quality.

If you take the time to compose new loops via midi and virtual instruments, you would certainly be able to build a chord progression like on your mom's old Clavinova.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Thank you for your reply. The problem is that I suck at playing everything. It is very difficult for me to get a midi that has the appropriate timing, notes, and feel. Are there any loops that I can plug in to my ProTools SE, or are there any standalone instrumentation software packages that nmght, for instance, allow me to input a chord progression and a specific arpeggio style, and then Export that in as an audio file to my ProTools mix? It would be similar to my garage band auto play feature, just with more options. I I only have an iPad, and use a PC to run ProTools.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:41 AM

I believe you're limited to what comes in the box with SE so 3rd party options won't work for you. You can check out Xpand to see what is available there for loops, but I'm not certain they can be re pitched. If your timing is off and you can't freehand compose a midi driven loop, then learn to write the part to the grid. If you know the part you want in your head, it's easy to write it in by clicking on the note where you want it on the grid.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control