Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 AM

Default Newbie Advice

Hi all,

I currently own PT LE and a 002.

I am hoping to buy a PT HD Rig consisting of a Control 24, HD1 Card and an analogue 192 interface.

I will be buying all of this used and probably from different sellers. The only thing I will buy new will be the software - PT7.4

Does anyone know of any compatibillity problem's from building a second hand HD rig?
Would I be able to transfer registration?
If I needed a part to get fixed would I be able to ship it to digidesign?
Should I get an HD1 PCI Card or a PCIe Card?
Will this system work with TDM HD Accel plug ins and TDM plug ins?
Is there anything else I should be aware of?

PLease give me some advice!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM

Hi.
Read up on the compatibility docs.
PCIe core for new Mac's have Accel chips.
PCI core do not and will not work with new Mac's unless an PCIe-PCI expansion chassis is used.
--
Transfer originates from the original owner. If they transfer to you you should be good.

Last edited by TCDet; 08-13-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Type-O
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Avid

Quote:
Does anyone know of any compatibillity problem's from building a second hand HD rig?
That's a rather broad question and difficult to answer. Any compatibility issues wouldn't necessarily stem from used gear. Nothing in the list you gave raises any red flags, so if you follow the compatibility information on our site for 7.4, you should be fine.

Quote:
Would I be able to transfer registration?
Yes - use the Transfer of Ownership form.

Quote:
If I needed a part to get fixed would I be able to ship it to digidesign?
Yes.

Quote:
Should I get an HD1 PCI Card or a PCIe Card?
That would depend on the computer you're using it with - it's card slot type will determine which card you need to get.

Quote:
Will this system work with TDM HD Accel plug ins and TDM plug ins?
Plug-ins that need an Accel chip to run (such as ReVibe) would require an HD Accel card or a PCIe Accel Core card.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Ironfin,
Of course you want to make sure you buy this equipment in good working order. You can buy from different places and all of the things you want to buy should work fine together. Like Digi Tech said, if your computer has PCI slots then you want an HD accel PCI card, if your computer has PCIe slots, then you want to buy HD accel PCIe slots. The Control 24 will be fine, but the newer C24 is better. The 192 is still the best on to get it you get a Digidesign I/O. You should be fine with plugins.
This is a big step up from LE and 002. I have one of those at my house and everytime I use it, I wish I was on my HD system.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Ironfin,
Of course you want to make sure you buy this equipment in good working order. You can buy from different places and all of the things you want to buy should work fine together. Like Digi Tech said, if your computer has PCI slots then you want an HD accel PCI card, if your computer has PCIe slots, then you want to buy HD accel PCIe slots. The Control 24 will be fine, but the newer C24 is better. The 192 is still the best on to get it you get a Digidesign I/O. You should be fine with plugins.
This is a big step up from LE and 002. I have one of those at my house and everytime I use it, I wish I was on my HD system.
If the Op is going with HD1, as he said, then to run accel only plugs it would have to be PCIe as the PCIx core card is non-accel.
to OP.. core card= HD1............... core card plus 1 process card = HD2 etc.... SB
Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but to elaborate on the question (which I am also facing): what is the advantage of investing thousands more in a PCIe-based system? What are the significant advantages that will be gained from paying many thousands more for a Mac Pro - especially given that 8-cores don't even give you a significant native processing advantage over G5s!! - as well as many thousands more for PCIe cards over getting a used G5 and used PCIx cards? You can get a smoking G5 for so cheap compared to the quad or 8-core Mac Pro's, and you can get secondhand PCIx cards for so cheap compared to PCIe cards - so why pay all that extra?? Hope this doesn't distort the original question, but still would be very interested in feedback...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgabriel View Post
Hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but to elaborate on the question (which I am also facing): what is the advantage of investing thousands more in a PCIe-based system? What are the significant advantages that will be gained from paying many thousands more for a Mac Pro - especially given that 8-cores don't even give you a significant native processing advantage over G5s!! - as well as many thousands more for PCIe cards over getting a used G5 and used PCIx cards? You can get a smoking G5 for so cheap compared to the quad or 8-core Mac Pro's, and you can get secondhand PCIx cards for so cheap compared to PCIe cards - so why pay all that extra?? Hope this doesn't distort the original question, but still would be very interested in feedback...
thomasgabriel,
Your correct. I was giong to update awhile back and after speaking with Digi about it, spending all that cash to get new PCIe cards, meant also buying a new MAC. I was told PCIe cards are know different then PCI cards, the only advantage was to be able to use a newer MAC.