Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Default Need help with multiple Alesis ADAT XTs

I have a recording rig that consists of two Alesis ADAT XTs. My goal was to have a mixer feeding two separate Presonus D8s (each is an 8 ch. Analog/Digital converter that sends out 8 tracks down a single ADAT cable), and then go from the D8s to my two ADAT XTs. This works fine but as soon as I connect my 9 pin sync cable between the ADAT XTs, the slave automatically goes into EXT external clock mode and it can only take ADAT input from the master XT.
This is very frustrating. My goal was to be able to record 16 tracks of audio at once and have the two machine be in sync so I can mix and control the two tapes like it's all on one machine, but it seems that syncing the two XTs and making one the master and one the slave is only good for sub mixing tracks from one machine to the other.

Does anyone have any thoughts or solutions to this problem??
Is there an external clock override on the slave XT?
Is there some other clocking or sync unit I need for the two machines?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Need help with multiple Alesis ADAT XTs

As you've discovered, you have a clock problem. The issue with the D8 is that it only has a word clock input and no output. So you have no way of syncing the two D8s with each other before going to the ADAT XTs. The master ADAT will clock to the ADAT input, the slave ADAT will clock to the master and the second D8 clock will be floating causing ticks and pops.

You can either find something to clock both D8s to or trade them in for the Digimax FS. The FS has word ins and outs so the second FS can slave to the first.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM

I haven't messed with ADAT in probably 7 or 8 years now. But, the behavior you are describing isn't right. There is no reason why you cannot have them both running with each other and have external converters (but, as TopJimmy said, you have one unit that is going to be floating with it's clock!).

Sorry, I cannot remember what setting needs to be changed. I am sure you can find an ADAT XT manual somewhere online.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 AM

My question is; why fight with that antique setup when you can record 16 tracks at a time in Pro Tools without anywhere near the hassle(and likely much better performance, and certainly better sound at 24 bits(weren't the XT's 20 bit? Or even 16 bit??). I found the ADAT setup to be the most frustrating recording package known to mankindmOne of those Presonus D8's would be perfect for expanding a 002/003 Pro Tools setup to 16 channels

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave