Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Default "Bus error" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0

Hi everyone, I downloaded the 30 day trial of PT 10 (coming from PT 8) and I get this bus error message on startup. I've searched the forums and tried a few things (such as repair disk permissions) but I still get the message. Can anyone help me out?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Re: "Bus error" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0

Start Here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Need much more information than you have provided.

After that:

1/ disconnect external devices
2/ reinstall
etc.

There is help to be had but need the relevant info first.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexplainedbacon View Post
Hi everyone, I downloaded the 30 day trial of PT 10 (coming from PT 8) and I get this bus error message on startup. I've searched the forums and tried a few things (such as repair disk permissions) but I still get the message. Can anyone help me out?
That is a useless amount of information to work with. Look up on this page. See "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!". Start there.

What exact OS are you running on, how exactly did you unisntall PT 8 and install PT 10?

Darryl
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Apologies, I posted this to my profile, should have included it here

MBP 2.66 i7, 4GB

OSX 10.7.5

003 Rack

I DID NOT uninstall PT8 before installing PT 10, is this likely my problem?

Sorry for the newbishness. I can also paste the full error report if that sheds light

EDIT:
I do not have a PT8 disk to uninstall, and I signed into my AVID account and cannot find an uninstaller, where can I find this? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexplainedbacon View Post
I DID NOT uninstall PT8 before installing PT 10, is this likely my problem?
Is there an uninstaller in /Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities. I can't remember for 8, but it should be around there somewhere. Do a "clean" uninstall to remove all plugins etc.

That _may_ be your problem. Open the install instructions and follow them, especially the driver install instructions, and the systems optimization instructions as well. Pro Tools 10 needs separate driver installs and is more complex that a Pro Tools LE install. With Pro Tools you cannot just spin up a DVD-ROM and run the installer, you must slow down and follow the instructions.

Darryl
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Is there an uninstaller in /Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities. I can't remember for 8, but it should be around there somewhere. Do a "clean" uninstall to remove all plugins etc.

That _may_ be your problem. Open the install instructions and follow them, especially the driver install instructions, and the systems optimization instructions as well. Pro Tools 10 needs separate driver installs and is more complex that a Pro Tools LE install. With Pro Tools you cannot just spin up a DVD-ROM and run the installer, you must slow down and follow the instructions.

Darryl
Darryl thank you for your help, I was able to find the uninstall directory and wiped PT then reinstalled and that solved my problem. Thank you for your help!