Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Default "Incompressible Data" in PT? Which OWC SSD to buy?

I'm considering buying either the OWC Mercury Electra or Extreme Pro SSD for my 2011 Macbook Pro.
Really the only difference is that the extreme pro is optimal for incompressible file types.

My only questions are will this make any difference for Pro Tools? With any plug-ins and virtual instruments?

OWC Mercury Electra 6G Incompressible data rate
Read: 208MB/s
Write: 235MB/s

OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G Incompressible data rate
Read: 479MB/s
Write: 282MB/s

On their website they say that " the OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G is optimized to handle incompressible (already compressed) file types, like those used by audio, video, photography professionals, for the fastest performance available."
Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 AM

Default Re: "Incompressible Data" in PT? Which OWC SSD to buy?

I have the 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6g in my Mac Pro, and it just freakin' BLAZES.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 AM

What exactly does blazingly mean:)

Are you using SSD as start up, sessions or VI ?

Normally people use them for start up so booting and install are accelerated but is session data is on a non SSD and PTX is on an SSD what is that experience like ?

Can you comment ?

I just bought 2 external owc FW 800 elites drives (1TB) for my IMAc and afterwards saw owc add for turnkey service where they install up to 3 ssd drives in an imac for around the same money ?

Appreciate any more insights into people's ssd experiences obviously on macs and using PTX !

Epiphone
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Mine is used as my boot drive.
Blazes means just that. Pro Tools loads in about 15 seconds, jumping from session to session is lightning fast, etc.
Rendering, processing, importing, exporting...lightning fast.
SSD's aren't good for sessions, but lots of serious VI guys are using them for samples drives.
I'd consider it, but my EWQL samples alone would require at LEAST a 1TB drive, and I'm not paying that kind of money.
I'm sure prices will be much lower in a year.