Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Waves DLS or DLI + Impact Server?

When I compare the specs the DLS has a bit more horsepower (not much). Right now price wise, identical if

Waves DLS - $1300 Alto Music repack

Waves DLI - $600, Waves Impact Server - $700 - new = $1300

I own Waves Horizon and most other Waves plugins and run PT 12 HD Native with 2 Digidesign 192 interfaces on a 2010 Mac Pro 12 core, 64GB RAM.

What I'm having a hard time getting my head around is running in I/O mode vs SGP mode. Why not just blow off the HD Native card and run SGP? Am I missing something? Anyone know the pros and cons?

I wish the prices were just a lil bit sweeter and someone would actually make a demo video worth a dang on YouTube. Waves, if you're listening, I volunteer.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Waves DLS or DLI + Impact Server?

IO mode uses a studio rack with an IO insert on a track in PTs to access DLS cpu. SGP Mode is like running UADs Console with ProTools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
IO mode uses a studio rack with an IO insert on a track in PTs to access DLS cpu. SGP Mode is like running UADs Console with ProTools.

I've never used UAD Console so I don't quite get it yet. Which mode is preferred and why? Questions:

1.) Does IO mode truly negate the need for an HD Native card?
2.) Why would I even want to use SGP mode and loop the HD Native card in?
3.) In both cases, can I mix other non-SG native plugins with soundgrid in native mode on the same track or am I limited to just using the SG plugin? Example an instance of Slate VMR followed by an instance of Waves SG.
4.) Is tracking with SG a joy? I mean run your Waves Plugins with low latency and hear them while tracking?
5.) Can I put a SG plugin on an Aux channel in PT, add a reverb to it (for example), and send other tracks over a bus and hear it while tracking with low latency in SG mode?
6.) For some reason, running audio over ethernet scares me. I mean, can my 2010 Mac Pro Ethernet port handle the load without glitching?

I really wish I could see some working examples on YouTube. Dang!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 12-12-2017, 09:59 AM

All good questions. I have a DLS configured in I/O mode which requires my HDX card. The DLS has the older digilink connectors however that means you need a digicard.

I would never run SGP mode having an HDX card. You can not use the HDX/Native card in SGP mode because your using a Waves driver.

StudioRack consumes two insert slots, SR and an I/O.

I don’t know, I don’t think Ethernet is an issue, drivers/hardware are an issue. The DLS is reliable. I can’t think of a released software version that has downed my system.

Have you ever contacted Waves asking them if there is a working example in your area?

Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Hmmm I guess in your case you want the power of your expensive HDX card. In my case with HD Native, there really is no power, I'm only interested in the DLS (or DLI with impact server) so I can continue to use my 192 interfaces. Still I'm trying to understand what having soundgrid will do for me and really what I'm after is the ability to give performers very low latency while tracking while using plugins. I'm so invested in Waves plugins already, DLS seems to make sense. Can you comment on some examples and how well it works for you? Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM

Just ordered from Sweetwater...

SoundGrid Connect Combo: Diamond + Impact SG Impact + Diamond Bundle $699.00
DLI SoundGrid Expansion Interface $594.00
Free shipping TOTAL: $1293

Not sure whether I'll keep my HD Native card or not but probably will keep it so I have the option to use the HD Native Driver or the Waves SG Driver.

Really hoping that the Waves SG Driver works beautifully with Pro Tools, Studio One and my 2010 Mac Pro 12 core.

In all what I'm hoping to achieve and other benefits:
- load lots of Waves plugins I already own with no latency hit when tracking
- work between DAWs without feeling the lameness of the Pro Tools drivers and buffer settings
- keep my existing Digi interfaces while essentially shedding myself of Avid.
- I keep my Mac Pro in a separate rack room in my studio which is where the impact server will go. My control room will add a single rack DLI to my already crowded rack and so no added fan noise etc. there.
- pricepoint is nice, I get an extra diamond license free that I could sell later or use on my laptop system.

I plan to make a video of my findings. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Go Waves!

Also here's a reply from Waves to my questions...

Subject: Re: [#188446] Questions about Waves DLS vs. Waves DLI + Impact Server

Hi Justin,

"1.) Can you explain why I might want to run in IO mode vs SGP mode and vice versa?"

In I/O mode, the DLS is designed to act as a bridge between Pro Tools systems and the DLS's built-in DSP server. In this mode, the HD/HDX or HD Native system remains your playback engine, while the DLS appears as individual I/O units from which you can expand your studio by offloading your plugin processing to the built-in server and by connecting to additional SoundGrid I/Os.

In SGP mode, the DLS enables you to control a variety of DigiLink enabled I/Os, bridge your favorite DAW (Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton, Pro Tools Native, etc.) with SoundGrid applications and ASIO/Core Audio drivers, and offload your plugin processing to the built-in DSP server.

"2.) Are the built-in ethernet ports on my 2010 Mac sufficient when in SGP mode to pass large amounts of audio?"

Yes

"3.) Is there really any reason for me to keep using my HD Native card? Wouldn't SGP using the Waves SG driver be better?"

I would most likely look into selling the HD Native card and just run in SGP mode, but the two mode option on the DLS/DLI gives you the choice.

"4.) Is the special still available where I get Diamond for free with the impact server?"

Yes this is available.

"5.) Honestly which is better DLS or DLI+impact. Pros for 1 is power, pros for 2 is, saving rack space."

The DLS offers the better Specs. The DLS includes a server comparable to the Server One. The DLI / Impact option will have lesser specs, but as you mentioned offers less space, separate hardware boxes allowing more flexibility, and the combo specials like the one you mentioned (Diamond + Impact for $1 less then buying the impact by itself).

Best Regards,

Waves Sales Team
+1-865-909-9200 extension 2
www.waves.com

Last edited by Justin1524; 12-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:50 PM

Great stuff.

When I first tested SoundGrid with a DLS and my HD Native rigs, I quickly realized the workflow is better with SGP mode.

In two rooms I sold HDN in favor of SoundGrid.

One room is still on HDN because there are 48 channels in there.
I'd like to add a DLI and Extreme server, or a DLS.

At any rate, my LV1 package for live sound is also used for studio now, with PTHD.

Killer stuff.

Lower latency on STG2412 than I had with HD I/O 16's

SoundGrid is crushing it. Seriously.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 12-16-2017, 11:47 AM

Default Waves DLS or DLI + Impact Server?

What I like a lot. I can run my PC in I/O mode with HDX; without disconnecting the DLS, I can exit out of SGS on my PC, and then run SG Connect from my MacBook Pro using my UAD or Built in drivers and acces the DLS with SRs.