Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Your Waves Update Plan is About to Expire

mike - with all due respect, the issue is not the price, but the fact that waves changed their policies after buyers had purchased their packages. waves was always a pricey choice, and that was never the issue. but once you no longer owned your packages, but rather 'leased' them a lot of anger and resentment came.

as a platinum buyer, i find most of the complaints valid.

i simply moved on to other products, and i was an excellent customer.

no disrepect, and kind regards
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
In the case of Waves they support MAC, PC, Waves Hardware, RTAS, AU, TDM, VST, for DP, PT, and Logic.
As a Mac Protools user I don't care if they supported a hundred other platform. I'm only paying for the one I use. That is my perspective to the issue, but Waves seem to think that I should finance the "hundred" other platforms as well. It doesn't go that way. If there's enough customers for any given platform, then it is feasible for Waves to develop and support that platform. If there aren't, then why bother? Customers of every platform should be supporting the support costs of the platform they use. That's only logical.

Now the logic behind WUP is this:
- there are plenty of Mac/TDM customers. let them pay for support.
- there are plenty of prospective X-platform customers. let us develop product for them.
- as prospects are not paying any money, let's take some from the Mac/TDM customers.
- now that product has been developed for X-platform, surely "plenty" new customers will buy.
- now that product has been developed, it needs to be supported.
- as prospects are not paying any money, let's take some from the Mac/TDM customers.

As you can see, this is a pattern I cannot support. I don't care if there are plenty of PC users or a whole lot of VST/AU/MAS users. I'm not one of them, so I will not pay for their support,which is by the way not any cheaper than TDM support despite the customer base must be significantly smaller.

Given that Waves has not been able to fully serve even the Mac/TDM customers, the only conclusion is that the WUP money goes to developing and supporting other platforms. How many of Mac/TDM customers are happy with it? Not me. And I am only a Mac/Native customer. Still, in my opinion, WUP is taking money from Mac/Protools users (the majority) and giving it away to users of other platforms (the minority).

And as a final note: where the h*ll is the Waves V6 upgrade? They released a V5 in 2004 if I remember correctly. And that upgrade only added the tempo features. Waves has apparently postponed the V6 to get most customers angry 'cause the WUP needs to be paid once again (if one wants to keep using the product). Their UB builds are ready, take the L3-LL plug for example.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Because that constant updates with WAVES' products, that is the main reason why I stop buying their plugins. You can never own them, paying for the same thing very other year, it's as if I was leasing them. Bye Bye Waves.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Paying WUP and staying current with Waves makes no sense, especially now, as Wave's seems to killing off perfectly good TDM versions of their plugins with new updates. . . This makes it so we can't take advantage of the newer plugins being released with Waves updates without loosing some of our TDM plugins with new updates. . . really unfortunate and frustrating.