Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 03:53 AM

Default Whats a good guitar amp plug-in?

Hey. I have a make-shift studio setup in my room at uni, but my band practices at home twice a week and so i need my amp at home - its just too much effort to carry its heavy ass up 3 flights of concrete, windy stairs. I therefore am after a guitar amp plug-in for Pro Tools 7 LE. I need something that will give me a range of clean, distorted, delayed etc. sounds when i plug my guitar into the mbox. Does anyone know of any decent plug-ins they could recommend?

Thanks

JC~
Old 11-01-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Whats a good guitar amp plug-in?

If you have the ignition pack, Amplitube LE is included so you can try that.

Otherwise, Sansamp is awesome and Native Instuments Guitar Rig 2 is very versatile.

Sonny
Old 11-01-2006, 07:05 AM

Chrometone from McDsp looks very good. Sansamp will get you different flavors of distortion, but no other effects.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 AM

I am a guitar player and actually I think Amplitube LE is really pretty good. The full version gives you a lot more flexibility and if you own any other IK software, you can get crossgrade pricing. SanAmp is cool too but it doesn't have reverb and delay, still the sounds are really usable. I haven't used Guitar Rig but it is supposed to be excellent. You could also think about getting one of the various Line 6 Pod systems. It will take some load off the CPU but they are not, strictly speaking plug ins. Still there is nothing like the real deal IMHO.

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Chrometone from McDsp is awesome, they even do a native bundle now with filterbank etc included.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I am a guitar player and actually I think Amplitube LE is really pretty good. The full version gives you a lot more flexibility and if you own any other IK software, you can get crossgrade pricing. SanAmp is cool too but it doesn't have reverb and delay, still the sounds are really usable. I haven't used Guitar Rig but it is supposed to be excellent. You could also think about getting one of the various Line 6 Pod systems. It will take some load off the CPU but they are not, strictly speaking plug ins. Still there is nothing like the real deal IMHO.

Good Luck!
Actually Line 6 recently announced a AU plug that has sounds from their vetta and Podxt Line. It's called the gearbox. An RTAS version should be available next year. It even includes some preamp models and other not necesarilly guitar things. Should be pretty cool IMO. Here is the link. But the PODxt line is quite convincing; you're just stuck with the tone you recorded with, but as mentioned requires zero cpu use.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Good Luck!
Actually Line 6 recently announced a AU plug that has sounds from their vetta and Podxt Line. It's called the gearbox. An RTAS version should be available next year. It even includes some preamp models and other not necesarilly guitar things. Should be pretty cool IMO. Here is the link. But the PODxt line is quite convincing; you're just stuck with the tone you recorded with, but as mentioned requires zero cpu use.
You could always just split your signal and record the guitar direct as well, then use the POD to re-amp later if you need a different tone. Slightly time-consuming, but a very cheap method. The guitar sounds aren't bad, but I don't know how good the effects are in the POD.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 PM

I own several Mesa Boogies, and Marshalls, but for ease of recording, and getting great sounds quick on demos, and even pretty legit finished projects, I'm all about my POD XT.... But, to be able to change the sound of a previously recorded part is often key... And for this, Amplitube 2 is great. Awesome sounds, not an unbearable amount of latency on my dual 2.3 g5 PPC, and the ability to run two rigs off one take is real nice. my big issue with amplitube 2 is that it sucks CPU like no other plug. Literally will take up 1/3 of CPU according to PT's system usage meter. B ut the sounds are pretty legit. Just have to bounce it to an audio track constantly, I can't even think of running more than one at a time....

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 11-05-2006, 02:32 PM

i have amplitube 2 and guitar rig 2.
Specifically trying to emulate my vintage AC-30 when i can't play it loud, or don't want to fuss with a mic for a quick idea.
For me, GR2 gets the whole vibe much better. Tone is better, speaker/room/"air" emulation is pretty damn convincing without an immediate need for room reverb/etc.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM

I use Nomad Factory's Rock Amp Legends

Rock Amp Legends

I haven't used it with my guitar as of yet but I use it with the Prominy Les Paul Classic Clean collection

Prominy LPC

I was told that the Video demo was ran through Guitar Rig

Guitar Video

Sounds great!!!!!!