Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Default No headset audio when using ASIO4ALL required for video playback

I am using Pro Tools 2019 with Windows 10. I edit a lot of performances and use video with the audio tracks. I am using ASIO4ALL V2 as the Playback Engine which does not allow headset audio (as far as I can tell). If I try to change the Playback Engine to Windows Media Device, a message is displayed saying that video playback is not supported by the Windows Media Device and to use an ASIO compatible interface (whatever that means) or a universal ASIO driver.

The headset output works with other programs and shows up as a Windows output device. Any recommendations on enabling headset audio and also video playback in Pro Tools?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Re: No headset audio when using ASIO4ALL required for video playback

I had searched the web before I posted this query and had not found the answer. After some additional searching, I did find that I can configure the ASIO4ALL driver listed under Hardware in Pro Tools to select the headset output, so my problem is solved. Hopefully this info will assist others.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:53 PM

Jim, Nice reply to help others.

The advice lots of folks will likely give here is you should really plan to get off ASIO4ALL and get a dedicated ASIO compatible audio interface. They'll typically operate with less hassles, better quality/performance and can be dedicated to Pro Tools so you won't have problems conflicting with Windows and other application audio trying to use the same interface.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Darryl,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am not familiar with them. Do you have any models to suggest? Do they come with drivers which would be selected in the Playback Engine selection?

Thanks.
Jim
Old 10-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Norman View Post
Darryl,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am not familiar with them. Do you have any models to suggest? Do they come with drivers which would be selected in the Playback Engine selection?

Thanks.
Jim
Right, ASIO is a high-end audio interface standard for Windows. Developed years ago by Steinberg, and then used by lots of other folks including Avid. What ASIO4ALL does is wrap a standard Windows Audio driver and make it look like an ASIO driver... but thats very inefficient and does not give you the real capability/performance/robustness of an ASIO interactive. All ASIO interfaces will come with their own ASIO audio drivers (they will also have Windows audio drivers so other apps can use them if needed) and will show up directly as option in the Pro Tools playback engine once you install those ASIO drivers.

Interfaced vary in capability from one or two inputs and a stereo output to high-end studio systems. And prices for ~$100 to $10k+. One of the important things with any interface is how much the vendor keeps their ASIO drivers up to date and the general level of support they provide. Interfaces also differ on the amount of hardware monitoring capabilities they provide... that may be important to you if you are going to track (record) using that interface, but none of that may matter to you. What might matter more are say the number of headphone outputs, the quality of those outputs, and monitor control (think main volume control, ... up to multiple pairs of speakers, subwoofer monitoring etc. on high-end systems).

Good vendors I'd look come from UAD (but needs Thunderbolt), MOTU, RME. Focusrite and Presonus make interesting lower price products but Focusrite seem to have had a lot of driver issues, and some of the Presonus stuff has not sounded as great as other systems, ... but that's subjective. You can go to Sweetwater.com and see what interfaces are available... almost all will have ASIO drivers... and you can confirm by looking at specs or driver downloads on the vendor websites.

If you explain what USB (or Thunderbolt) connections you have on your computer (do you need the interface to be portable?) , what analog (and any digital?) inputs/outputs you need, and your budget, then people here can make specific suggestions.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-11-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Darryl,

Thank you for the info on ASIO and recommendations for ASIO interfaces. I will check out the brands you recommended. I use Pro Tools primarily to edit audio recorded at other locations, so your suggested use for outputs is what I would be using the interface for. I use a Mackie DL32R recorder/mixer and a Sound Devices MixPre-6 to record performances and then do the editing with Pro Tools here at my home studio in Orlando, Florida.

Thanks again.
Jim
Old 10-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Pro Tools | First is a giveaway with the DL32R. Is it also a digital audio interface that can be used with Pro Tools?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Yes, the Mackie DL32R can be used as an audio interface using the Type-B USB connector on the rear panel. See Page 11 of the Users Manual. Note: You cannot use the Type-B connector at the same time as the Type-A connector which connects to an external drive. The Type-A connector takes priority.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Try using the Mackie as your interface, use it's ASIO driver and plug your headphones into the Mackie.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction