Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Default 12 core Mac Pro RAM UPGRADE: 64GB @ 1866MHz or 128GB @ 800MHz?

I've decided to upgrade my 6 core Trash Can to a E5-2697 v2 12-Core. Reading on the OWC website I found this fine print when looking at the RAM upgrades:

"Due to processor design and memory architectures, 32GB module utilization occurs at a bus speed of 1066MHz with Apple Mac Pro 2013 E5-16XXv2 4-Core, 6-Core, and 8-Core processor equipped models, 800MHz with factory 12-Core or after-market E5-26XX equipped models"

So if I upgrade to a 12 core and 128GB of RAM, does that mean I'm taking a 50% hit on my RAM speed?

My work flow doesn't usually include running lots of VI's simultaneously. I do use some fairly large libraries, and CPU hungry VI's. But I generally tend to print them and inactivate them after I write the part. If I need to make tweaks, I just reactive the instrument track, make my tweaks and inactivate again. I use the Kontakt Memory Server, and usually rarely hit more than 10GB of samples loaded at any given time. The only downside to my workflow, is that when I inactivate VI tracks, if I need to make a tweak, I have to reload samples every time I reactivate. And that can be time consuming.

My biggest hit comes from using loads of plugins. I use a ton of multiband compressors, melodyne, hungry reverbs and delays... but I'm guessing that uses CPU power and not RAM.

Any advice on 64GB vs 128GB RAM upgrade with a 12 core would be much appreciated!!
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8
Old 12-16-2019, 07:53 PM

Default Re: 12 core Mac Pro RAM UPGRADE: 64GB @ 1866MHz or 128GB @ 800MHz?

Perhaps you should consider getting a newer computer.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminjamesp View Post
I've decided to upgrade my 6 core Trash Can to a E5-2697 v2 12-Core. Reading on the OWC website I found this fine print when looking at the RAM upgrades:

"Due to processor design and memory architectures, 32GB module utilization occurs at a bus speed of 1066MHz with Apple Mac Pro 2013 E5-16XXv2 4-Core, 6-Core, and 8-Core processor equipped models, 800MHz with factory 12-Core or after-market E5-26XX equipped models"

So if I upgrade to a 12 core and 128GB of RAM, does that mean I'm taking a 50% hit on my RAM speed?

My work flow doesn't usually include running lots of VI's simultaneously. I do use some fairly large libraries, and CPU hungry VI's. But I generally tend to print them and inactivate them after I write the part. If I need to make tweaks, I just reactive the instrument track, make my tweaks and inactivate again. I use the Kontakt Memory Server, and usually rarely hit more than 10GB of samples loaded at any given time. The only downside to my workflow, is that when I inactivate VI tracks, if I need to make a tweak, I have to reload samples every time I reactivate. And that can be time consuming.

My biggest hit comes from using loads of plugins. I use a ton of multiband compressors, melodyne, hungry reverbs and delays... but I'm guessing that uses CPU power and not RAM.

Any advice on 64GB vs 128GB RAM upgrade would be much appreciated!!
RAM MHz is not the same as CPU MHz. My experience in tests using both my 6 core and 12 core trash cans, you will not notice any difference in performance between 800 MHz and 1066 MHz RAM.

As for system RAM, unless you’re running HUGE VI sessions ( appears you’re not...), it’s unlikely you’ll need anything more than 64Gb of system RAM. Either way, more system RAM will likely provide only minimal plugin usage improvements - if any. Unfortunately, your workflow requirements will dictate your RAM needs. Asking internet users will only get you opinions which of course, this is all I’m offering.

OWC has liberal return policies. My recommendation... Buy a 64 Gb kit and test it with your heaviest session. Call your sales rep in advance to check what they may say if you want to trade up a 64Gb kit for a 128Gb kit should the 64Gb kit fall flat for your requirements.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Perhaps you should consider getting a newer computer.
Wow! Thats s helpful post

The trashcans are still PLENTY of power and most people here still have the 6-10 y/o Mac Pro’s so why would anyone buy a new computer right now if they have a teashcan Mac Pro and can upgrade them ??

If we didn’t live off of music and had the label deal we do we would never had bought the two new Mac Pro 2020 computers as they cost the same as a very nice car so I would advice the OP to go 12 core all day.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-29-2019, 11:03 PM

This is exactly what I did over the weekend! I only opened a couple of projects so far and did a quick test and I did notice some improvements. But I didn’t have much time to really put the upgrade through it’s paces yet. I will do some more tests and real sessions this week and hopefully I’ll be able to report some good news!
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 AM

I don't know if the memory setup is the same in a trashcan versus a cheesegrater but the latter use triple channel architecture and you'll get better memory performance if you only fill 3 of 4 or 6 of 8 memory slots instead of filling every slot.

QAPLA!