Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-10-2003, 08:38 AM

Default Midi Issues

I finally have all my equipment connected to my digi002 for MIDI recording. I have a Digi002, MPC2000XL, Motif keyboard, and EMU TurboPhatt Synth. My Digi002 Out is connected to my MPC In(2), MPC Out (b) is connected to my EMU IN (a), MPC Out(a) is connected to my Motif IN, My Motif Out is connected to my EMU THRU, EMU OUT(a) is connected to my MPC IN(1) and My Motif THRU is connected to my DIGI002 IN.
I know its alot but this gives me the signal path Im looking for and everything has the ability to communicate with each other. I am finally at the point where I have everthing configured properly where I can record MIDI on protools but I have 2 problems. 1)I can only playback what I record in midi thru my computer and not my monitors. I have 3 main options for outs on my midi tracks Digi ChannelA 1-16, Digi ChannelB 1-16, or the Microsoft Wave Synth (something like that). I only here audio on the microsoft option and that is thru my computers sound card. Is there a way to play back thru my monitors? 2) When I record midi tracks with audio tracks their is latency (delay) with the midi track. Its always about a half a second behind. Even though they are coming from the same device (the MPC2000).
Old 10-10-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Midi Issues

Quote:

1)I can only playback what I record in midi thru my computer and not my monitors. I have 3 main options for outs on my midi tracks Digi ChannelA 1-16, Digi ChannelB 1-16, or the Microsoft Wave Synth (something like that). I only here audio on the microsoft option and that is thru my computers sound card. Is there a way to play back thru my monitors?
Do you have an aux track set up to catch the audio coming from ur Motif or Turbophatt? Otherwise it's just spitting out MIDI not actual audio.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:54 AM

No, I dont I forgot totally about that. What is the proper way to set that up?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:23 AM

file, new track. pick aux stereo then set it's inputs to wherever u have ur keyboards plugged in. example: ur motif is connected to ur 002's inputs 1+2, and ur mophatt is in 3+4, set ur aux track's input 1+2 to hear ur motif.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:24 AM

and set ur aux track's outputs to ur monitors, of course.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 AM

Thank you, that definitely solves that probem. Does any one have a clue whats causing the latency and what is the fix? Also can you record more than one midi track at a time? Protools will not allow me to record enable more than one midi track simultaneously like you can with audio tracks.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:06 AM

Hold down the shift key as you record arm multiple MIDI tracks (it's in the manual).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-10-2003, 10:25 AM

Thank You, I didnt catch that. Which leaves me with only one question left, what causing the latency and whats the solution.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thank You, I didnt catch that. Which leaves me with only one question left, what causing the latency and whats the solution.
I read about why it happens but I'm not sure if there is a solution. Maybe if u adjust the buffer settings or something. I know it works for getting rid of latency when i record vox. I have never tried it for MIDI because usually solo the track i'm recording since I do all my sequencing in the MPC. If I want to play along with the track I'll just skip MIDI and record it straight as audio.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:30 PM

You need to determine if the latency is caused by the lengthy chain of MIDI devices. I also notice you seem to have an OUTPUT (Motif OUT) plugged into a THRU (Emu THRU), which doesn't seem right.

If the latency is caused by the MIDI chain, fiddling with buffers etc on PTLE won't change it.

With that many MIDI devices, I'd consider using a more sophisticated MIDI multi-interface and/or MIDI patchbay, specifically to address MIDI latency.

Quote:
Quote:
I read about why it happens but I'm not sure if there is a solution. Maybe if u adjust the buffer settings or something. I know it works for getting rid of latency when i record vox. I have never tried it for MIDI because usually solo the track i'm recording since I do all my sequencing in the MPC. If I want to play along with the track I'll just skip MIDI and record it straight as audio.