Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 05:17 PM

Default stereo mic to mono input on m-box

Hi all,

I want to use a cheap stereo microphone with mini-jack (came with a soundblaster...its probably a condensor mic) with my m-box. Tried a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono adapterplug with no luck. Also tried the phantompower-switch, didn't work. No sound from the m-box.
This setup, with the little mike on a laptop with m-box just seemed very convenient to me for song writing.
Is it possible at all? If not, are there other/better solutions?
Of course I got better microphones but they're all dynamic [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

TIA
Old 07-16-2003, 01:29 AM

Default Re: stereo mic to mono input on m-box

I think the little microphone needs phantom-power. I am not really sure, but i think the normal phantom-power will NOT work, but its worth a shot. Probably the little mic is not a dynamic microphone but an electret. Somehow that is the cheapest to produce, and they have surprisingly good quality.

Bastiaan
Old 07-17-2003, 01:40 PM

THNX Bastiaan,

Got myself a nice small sony electret mike. It sounds great! (for what I want with it)
Only problem is: its stereo, I can use a stereo to mono plug...but wont that degrade the sound too much?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:42 PM

THNX Bastiaan,

Got myself a nice small sony electret mike. It sounds great! (for what I want with it)
Only problem is: its stereo, I can use a stereo to mono plug...but wont that degrade the sound too much?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:51 PM

Does the mic take a battery? If you can, post a link to the website for the mic. That would give us a better idea of what you have. Then we could give you a solution to your problem.

Mitch
Old 07-24-2003, 08:17 PM

Well, its a sony ECM-717 mic on a battery. It does work with the m-box.
But...its stereo! I want to record mono > how can I get the two channels from the mic into one?
Old 07-24-2003, 11:16 PM

I don't know...but have you tried getting or using a monoplug adapter (single stripe) over the 1/4 jack (double jack) of your mike?

defretman
Old 07-25-2003, 01:24 AM

Or make it mono in the box. Connect it stereo. Then create a stereo aux-track with both balance-sliders in the middle, and route that to a bus. The create a mono audiotrack, and set the input to that bus.

So the flow is:

stereo mic -> stero aux -> mono bus -> mono audio channel

Or only use one side of the stereo-mic. So connect it as if you where going to use it for stereo, but then only create a mono-audiotrack and record to that.

Bastiaan
Old 07-25-2003, 03:00 AM

What's wrong with stereo anyway?

Studio Engineering | Live Engineering | Location Recording | Composing
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 AM

i got additional questions for you guys. I just bought an M Box Mobile Pre for my laptop specifically so i can record sounds/ambience in the field. To record ambience efficiently, i invested in a stereo mic. Question is similar to the first asked, how do you connect a stereo mic to the Mobile Pre (via xlr)? The mic (a Rode SVM) has a male 1/8" out (because it is primarily used for video mic'ing). So my thought is use a female 1/8" to male 1/4" jack and connect that to a splitter. the only splitter i have found that seems to work with this idea is a female 1/4" that goes to dual male TRS and then attach two female 1/4" to male xlr adapters. Is there an easier way to do this? just so you know, the mic in on the Mobile Pre are TS not TRS. help please