Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2002, 07:33 PM

Default Re: A little disappointed

Look, just build Allens's 266E system Like I did exactly and you will have no problem my friend.

I've used Cake, Sonar, Cubase, Layla, MOTU's, Roland Vss880, 1680, and for a day the aw4416. My bud has an Akai DPS16 too. Beleive me there is no comparison. I've flip flopped over the years from being an avid PC DAW supporter, to a disser and now back again. The software has come of age. There is a little startup curve but after that it is all downhill and really slick.

PT kicks major ***!

Steve
Old 08-15-2002, 09:43 PM

Get a mac..sounds like you arent cut out for the work it takes to maintin a pc setup...not saying that macs are better...just saying that you would be better off spending a lil' mo dough and getting a g4....
Old 08-15-2002, 10:53 PM

Actually many of the fastest PT LE systems in use right now are using a RAID setup on a Promise PCI controller, as you'd see if you check out this thread HERE
I've been using DAWs for 12 years now and there hasn't been a one that didn't need some setup and effort made to learn what was required. You can get 32 tracks of pro audio for under $1,700 using an Allen H computer and an 001. Unbeatable.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:57 PM

All I have to say is.... sheesh...

If there was one motherboard and processor combination that everyone used, then know one would know what was the best, and if there was a faster....
Old 08-16-2002, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by siris777:

#1 NAMES! give me motherboard brand name that you support in a easy to read list. dont give me "some users have experienced good results with bla bla bla..what did YOU use to get best results and why.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats exactly what the DUC is for. It says what people use, and the things that more often get the best results. I don't know of any other DAW system that has this helpful of a forum supporting it. Its way better than any tech support could be.
Quote:

#2 Why dont you support windows xp pro and if you plan on it then when, give me details on why or why not.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Plenty of people use XP Pro with no problems

Quote:

#3 Design the "updates" section per model that is clearly laid out and easy to read. Dont go off subject and fill the page with confusing links to updates that dont pertain to the model I clicked on. Is 5.3.1 the upgrade to 5.11? You should have tables and rows with model number and operating system versions.

#4 All the retailers are selling 5.11 with a link pointing to this site to check compatability
is it easy to upgrade to 5.31 if your using xp? who knows...

This is why i'm leaning more and more with just simple hardware based adats and REAL mixers/Effects. I would rather spend my money on something that works instead of relying on a messageboard and the latest firmware or updates to actually use the product.

Respectfully
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No offense, but chosing a recording format based on 5 extra seconds of searching to get an update is kinda silly. Oh well, have fun with your adats.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:02 AM

Hey thanks for all the replys. I havent made up my mind if I will buy an adat based system or not but with this type of support I most likely will not be buying this model. The messageboard is great and all of you seem to know whats going on but ive been there done that and i'm a bit smarter now when I purchase something and cant tolerate hap hazard support that provides me a link to a forum to solve issues that they need to be on top of. Thanks all and good luck.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:24 AM

Bye Siris, we hardly knew ya
Old 08-16-2002, 09:03 AM

Quote:
... but with this type of support I most likely will not be buying this model. The messageboard is great and all of you seem to know whats going on but ive been there done that and i'm a bit smarter now when I purchase something and cant tolerate hap hazard support that provides me a link to a forum to solve issues that they need to be on top of.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You got it backwards, this type of support is the best there is!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:53 AM

RAID 0,1, 0+1 (like those offered on MB mfg.'s as of late) is hardly a 'standard' to the typical user. RAID 5 and higher is typical for anyone running a server/critical system though.

Oh, and to Siris...enjoy cleaning those ADAT heads and pathways!