Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2000, 07:50 AM

Default The final word on WAVES plug-ins!

All,

I've got my check in hand and I'm ready to make that final jump to get additional plugins. I've heard from DUC heros like LWILLIAM, that Waves is the way to go: Mainly because you get L1 (Which means you don't need Digi's Maxim, and because the plugins are of higher quality for less money.

However, I've also heard that you might get a long 2 minute wait loading proTools and that the plugins eat up a lot of CPU power.

Can someone with experience please, kindly compare Waves to the default Digi plugins, and list out the pros and cons of getting Waves Native Pack?

Finally, how the heck do you get rid of those plugins like Maxim that have expired? Do I go somewhere like a plugins folder and delete something?

Thanks...
Old 04-27-2000, 08:50 AM

Default Re: The final word on WAVES plug-ins!

I just purchased the NPP 1 it has been fully installed for almost 2 weeks. You will need to by an IMATE dongle adapter which converts USB to ADB. It runs around $39.00 plus shipping and can be found at
www.griffintechnology.com/imac/imate.html

Don't forget to get the driver, which I had no idea I needed and wasted some money calling Waves tech support. For the driver:
www.griffintechnology.com/imac/imate_driver.html

So far, due to the nature of my work, I've only used the L1 and the Q10 in Audiosuite and have been really impressed by both. As soon s we finish tracking a demo I'm working on I'll start using the RTAS plug-ins.

There is a wait upon boot-up, which I timed at 1.04 minutes. Kind of a drag, but a small price to pay I guess.

To get rid of the expired plug-ins, goto the plug in folder and drag the expired plug-ins to the trash.

Gremz
Old 04-27-2000, 09:41 AM

There is no comparison between the Digirack stuff and the Waves stuff. I've got the Gold Bundle and only wait about 25 seconds, if that, for the basic program to load and then another 15-20 seconds for a hefty session to boot up. Even if the wait time was 5 minutes, Waves would still be worth it. To clarify what Gremz said...you will not need the dongle if you're not using USB connections (like if you are using a beige G3 with serial connections). However, you most likely have a newer G3 or G4, so you will need it. BUT, I'm pretty sure that if you order the correct package, Waves provides you with everything you need. Call them and confirm that. About removing expired plugins, go to your System Folder and locate the DAE folder and open it up. Go to the Plugins folder there, open it, and trash the expired plugins. I hope this all helps!
Old 04-30-2000, 11:57 PM

Link - like Gremz said make sure you get the driver v1.9 from the griffin site, Waves doesn't tell you that you need it (they didn't tell me anyway) so your not sitting there scratching yer butt saying "I know I did everything right, dongle? yup, waveshell 2.9 RTAS? yup, right folders? yup -
What the *&#%!!

crow
Old 04-30-2000, 11:58 PM

Link - like Gremz said make sure you get the driver v1.9 from the griffin site, Waves doesn't tell you that you need it (they didn't tell me anyway) so your not sitting there scratching yer butt saying "I know I did everything right, dongle? yup, waveshell 2.9 RTAS? yup, right folders? yup -
What the *&#%!!

crow