Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 05:13 AM

Default Re: How to use non quicktime video formats in PT?

Hello. Also look into QuickTime Pro. For $20 it's a good deal. It can pretty much import and/or export just about any format.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 AM

Quote:
ok..........well you might be right if you have "authorization" to re-produce this DVD. Doesn't matter if you sell it or not......sorry,but the "reproduction" part is not exactally your freedom of choice.
I have to completely disagree. You don't do that with audio CDs right? I convert them to MP3 and have back ups. I can't believe people think that. I now have the entire movie in PT, I just needed to decrypt as title and demux. OSEX is what I used instead of DVDBackup which doesn't have any control options.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:27 AM

K....

If it helps, when you do figure out how to encode the DVD video as a quicktime movie, you should create an uncompressed NTSC DV movie sized to 480x320. PT likes that the best. If the file is in a compressed format, the CPU needs to work harder to uncompress the video AND play it back. If you do need to use compression because you need a smaller file size, make sure you use either the Sorenson or the Cinepak compression methods. Quicktime Pro is a good way to go to render these (or an editing program like Final Cut or Premiere) and it is cheap....like $20 to upgrade to pro.

good luck
Old 12-22-2003, 10:26 AM

hey im not for you, or against you. I didn't make the law. After just finishing up two semesters that covered topics such as this, the warring lables are written in a way that is "supposed" to prevent you from "copying" the record or movie companies material, causing you to have to go buy another disk, making more money to the company that developed it. You have to remember..........the physical disk is yours yes.........but the material that it holds is not yours, and that's where the issues on duplication develope.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:51 PM

Quote:
K....

If it helps, when you do figure out how to encode the DVD video as a quicktime movie.....
Thanks, I do have QT pro which cannot read .VOB (DVD video file, basically MPEG 2) or AC3 (DVD audio format). However Apple offers the MPEG2 component which will read .VOB but will not read AC3.. I had to demux, or separate, the audio from video and then convert the AC3 to WAV and then rejoin them.

Concerning copying, I strongly believe that back up is necessary with the inherent frailty of disc media. Like light bulbs it may just be a smart capitalistic move to make them hard to backup and delicate. In the past I had to purchase the same albums numerous times because of scratches or lost discs. Now with MP3 my discs sit in the closet and are only used to update or replace my MP3 playlist. No more repurchasing.

I am completely opposed to "sharing" MP3s. In my mind that is robbery. I only got into this whole DVD thing because ProTools will only use QuickTime which needs a certain format which requires this and that...It's like playing music along to a movie I'm watching on my TV. The exact same thing.

(((kirk
Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 PM

Quote:
hey im not for you, or against you. ... "supposed" to prevent you from "copying" the record or movie companies material........the physical disk is yours yes.........but the material that it holds is not yours, and that's where the issues on duplication develope.
Just tell me this. Do you ever copy material for MP3s in your iPod or whatever? Or make a copy onto your computer for your jukebox? Or make an MP3 CD for your car stereo? This argument only exists because record companies have been getting totally ripped off by the public through all those P2P sites. The record companies agreed to let iTunes sell songs and they also therefore agreed to Apples backup scheme. You can do several copies for yourself but you can't distribute. The end user holds all the cards here. Encryption will never stop them, the only thing that can is their moral values. Just because some people steal doesn't mean that those who don't should be limited. It's not like I exist in multiple places at once to consume this media simultaneously anyway. And if I did who cares. Think of it like a tooth brush. What's the difference if the movies I watch are the original DVD or a copy while the original is sitting on my bookshelf? How does that make the movie company loose money? If it's something about wear and tear and it wouldn't last long with use... I say good, they tried to screw me but I prevailed. Products designed to fail.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:00 PM

basically anitphase has got this right.

there are instances in which the details disclose the right to make a copy for backup purposes, etc, but this is not a given so to say.

personally i don't care to police you or anyone else, although since you are discussing this in a public forum of sorts.

personally i adhere to the rights of the creator, the artist , of which i am myself. some stuff i give away, some stuff i sell. I like to think of the artistic and creative market in relation to the whole of supply and demand of all good and services. Surely it needs as much help as any. I also like to think that the youngest of the artist and children of the world futures will not be closed, clamped, funneled. They need the right to own, to choose their path of distribution, their incentive should not be hindered. I think that as individuals, morals in this regard are as important as the legal rights which are paved.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:33 AM

Well put lush. It's all such a touchy issue. I once was like ((k)) with the sence part of it, but after creating a 30 minute movie that took a hell of a lot of energy, time , and beer............I would be pissed the hell off if I found out some one was copying/sharing/re-distributing my creation. So basically my respect has changed to that of the creator since the last year or so.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:25 AM

OK you have changed my mind. From now I will purchase 4 redundant albums at a time instead of 1. 1 for the car, another for iPod, the third for my home stereo, and the fourth for my computer. This way I won't be copying and it totally makes sense. Thanks guys,

Bye.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:51 AM

thanks,
your cooperation is greatly appreciated