Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Default Pro Tools and another DAW?

Ok here is my situation!

I use a Pro Tools HD4 system in a Magma chassis with 2x Lynx Aurora 16's with LT-HD cards.

A couple of producers use my place who like Logic so I have 2x Lynx AES16 cards in the spare 2 slots of the Mac Pro connected via AES/EBU to the Aurora 16's.

This means that I can have 32 i/o with Pro Tools HD and Logic with a couple of button presses.

I can't see how it is possible to use Pro Tools HDX and another DAW with the same converters in the future which to me is the most annoying thing about this announcment for me.

I can't believe that I am the only one who uses Pro Tools and another DAW but I haven't seen anyone mention this yet and I've been reading threads most of the day!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and another DAW?

well, it's true TornadoTed! I use a HD3 rig with 24chnls of ADAT (3x 96 io's) and do the same thing from 2408MK3 ADAT .. (only i am limited to 48khz)

i have a 16ch aurora so considered getting a AES Lynx and making something similar to yours... can you confirm for me that each card to aurora 16 is capable of 16 channels of 96khz at 24 bit ?.. or 32 bit float as well ? ...

i usually sync via MTC through midi interfaces but have found ADC issues with timing drifting for later imports (i program in logic and stream stem mixes across , then stop syncing the two, record vox in PT, edit vox and when i'm getting closer with the track i resync and restream the edited logic stems to replace the originals... this used to work a treat in PT8 and prior but since PT9 i have found my timing can drift immensely due to ADC changing or something weird) i bought a Sync io to see if that helps but still trying to work that scenario out..

if you have any wisdom you can share of how you work it etc would be much appreciated :)

i think the aurora's may still work as they appear like HD192's and they will be supported for at least 3 years.. so maybe we can expect 3-5 years of usage from such system.. or more if we want to remain static at whatever release is around 3 years time..perhaps
Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and another DAW?

Hmmm, I don't know if you can have all 16 channels at 96k. I only use Pro Tools myself, I have never even booted logic in the 3-4 years I have had it! A producer that brings in half a dozen bands a year requested it so I got it and the Lynx AES16's for him. I know that he can have 32 i/o with Logic but he records at 48kHz like myself so I don't know if he will have tried 96kHz, I will email and ask.

Yes I know they are going to be ok for a while and I suspect that the 3rd party companies like Lynx will backwards engineer it. It took a fair few years though before somebody (Lynx) could copy the 192's exactly. I don't want to invest in HDX when there are so many unanswered questions.

Will the 3rd party companies backwards engineer their interfaces?
Will the next Mac drop PCIe slots?
What about Thunderbolt?
How messy is the switch to 64bit going to be?
How much is it going to cost to go to AAX?
How quickly will companies switch to AAX?

Too uncertain a time to charge $1000 for an upgrade in my book! They should have given this one away for a nominal fee with the warning that when everything 'shakes down' over the next 12-18 months there would be a significant cost upgrade costs.