Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Need help building a HD system

For someone so 'stunned' and only familiar with LE I'd recommend not giving advice about HD systems that can be WAY more complicated than the average 002 setup.

The 192 can do 16 digital out the box. AES / Lightpipe x 2 / TDIF , it's no sweat, and no extra cards or fancy voodoo.. I don't know if you can rock 16 out ADAT/lightpipe from the O2R, but if you can, then it does get easier.

in fact, the 192-D is even cheaper if you don't need the A/D (the O2R does this already all over, if I remember) and you could set PT to clock off the O2R and track 16 in that way.

Of course, I'd feel much more comfortable having at LEAST 24 in for a band...

and my G5 is old school PCI-x - 2004 (4.5 GB RAM) - and it runs 10.5/8.0cs2 just fine (yes, odd crashes - workspace hates me and loops until crash, MUST repair permissions after) - but we installed it along-side the 7.4 rig so people don't freak out - they can just boot-hold-option and go back into 7.4...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
For someone so 'stunned' and only familiar with LE I'd recommend not giving advice about HD systems that can be WAY more complicated than the average 002 setup.

The 192 can do 16 digital out the box. AES / Lightpipe x 2 / TDIF , it's no sweat, and no extra cards or fancy voodoo.. I don't know if you can rock 16 out ADAT/lightpipe from the O2R, but if you can, then it does get easier.

in fact, the 192-D is even cheaper if you don't need the A/D (the O2R does this already all over, if I remember) and you could set PT to clock off the O2R and track 16 in that way.

Of course, I'd feel much more comfortable having at LEAST 24 in for a band...

and my G5 is old school PCI-x - 2004 (4.5 GB RAM) - and it runs 10.5/8.0cs2 just fine (yes, odd crashes - workspace hates me and loops until crash, MUST repair permissions after) - but we installed it along-side the 7.4 rig so people don't freak out - they can just boot-hold-option and go back into 7.4...
Since the above locks you into 48k.. might as well save the $ and get a 96io...8 analog in, 8 ADAT in, 8 analog out... SB
Old 03-03-2009, 01:59 AM

The word was 'stumped' as in 'I don't know a lot about Protools HD hardware' I knew they didn't have lot of money and had a feeling they would want to go with Protools LE, which was what they decided to go with, but I just wanted to be able to give them an idea of what was involved in a HD system and how much it would cost. Thank you for all the actual advice amidst the patronizing posts.