Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2016, 12:24 AM

Default Loving the new PT Control!

it took a while to be released, had a few initial problems with the install but then once up I fell in love with this again.

I love the new interface and the additional Channel view!

A few things to get used to before I complain (hopefully I won't have to)
but overall this is a true winner
UAD Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, UAD Quad Pcie
Apollo Twin Duo,
HDX Card,
2x Avid I/O Analog 16/16,
4x Artist Mix, Avid Dock, PT Control,
2019 Mac Pro 12 core, 48 gig Ram, running Big Sur,
lots of outboard gear
Old 05-15-2016, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Loving the new PT Control!

Glad they decided on giving the channel view free too. It used to be it only worked if you had the dock, but havinng it free just makes more sense. I just ditched vcontrol for this as the new features. (especially channel view) are a great addition
Old 05-15-2016, 03:11 AM

Not had a chance to try it yet but looks like a great feature update that is starting to realise the potential of the Control app, clearly taking into account user feedback ... well done Avid!

Regardless of the wider pricing debates, value comparisons with other platforms, etc., Avid needs to continue to deliver compelling reasons (beyond reputation, history and compatibility ... or resting on its laurels) for users to continue to pay for Pro Tools, in whatever form they choose (e.g. not letting upgrade plans lapse).

Paying extra for add-ons like this app/features would be self-defeating when one cannot benefit from it without a paid Pro Tools system - the better the whole proposition addresses the community's needs, and at a fair price, the more likely that users stay but also encourage others to join.

Still hoping Avid are working on getting plugin UIs into the app e.g. through their control of the AAX format (maybe a backwards-compatible extension that developers could optionally integrate into their products ... possibly displaying a cut-down interface of standardised dimensions with a defined number of controls?)

... am I getting carried away?!

:)
Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 AM

This is very nice!
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 05-15-2016, 08:08 AM

1st impressions .. Loaded up the New PT/Control ..

1) Channel Page - Sends - the Select Button does not Open the Send Window in PT .. the SEL button works on Inserts but not Sends .. so on Insert SEL opens the Plugin Window but on Sends nothing happens ..

2) are we to Automate a Send using this small horizontal fader ?? it does work but it would be nice to have a Long Fader to automate ..

3) Sends - Pre/Post - no control ??

4) Input - this is cool ..

5) Plugin Control is cool ...

6) new Softkeys is Cool ...

7) Soft Keys - Pages .. tons of tools here .. page 143 - change Meters .. nice .. Home Key gets you back to page 1 ??

***** might need some more options like Go Back to Previous Page .. it does work awesome from Page 1 .. very cool ..

these are the first thoughts ... getting better for sure ..

make sure you restart your iPad after install ..

thank you Kyle and Team for this update ... lots in there ...

also: Kyle, please stay in better touch with us !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 PM

Hey John,

I just wanted to chime in with a couple of answers since I happen to have them.

1) The Send paradigm is a little different for EuControl. The Sel key is the Pre/Post switch for the send. So if you hit Sel it will stay lit up that means its a Pre send now. In order to open the Send window, you should hold Control (on a Mac) and then hit the Sel key. That will open and close the window.

2) Agreed! We should put in a suggestion. I would love to send the Send on a fader for my iPad.

3) Hopefully #1 will answer this.

4-7) Agreed! There is some awesome new stuff in this release...
Old 05-16-2016, 12:28 AM

Loving the app myself. The plugin control is cool. I bet it will be even better once I can get my fingers on the dock to control the plugins with rotary encoders. Hopefully the rotary encoders will be better than on the Artist Mix. ( I usually do flip to fader on the artist mix ) They are presumably the same encoders as on the S3.

Pan window is awesome.

I tried the app with digiEQ3 and did not se the graph reflect in the app - like in the Pro Tools Dock pics. Maybe by the time the Dock is available we will have another release of the app?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 AM

Thank you for the reply .. going to check out the Pre/Post thing .. i wonder if we can use a Modifier Key on the iPad itself .. so we would not be tied to the Computer Keyboard for the Modifier ..

cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPSpace View Post
Hey John,

I just wanted to chime in with a couple of answers since I happen to have them.

1) The Send paradigm is a little different for EuControl. The Sel key is the Pre/Post switch for the send. So if you hit Sel it will stay lit up that means its a Pre send now. In order to open the Send window, you should hold Control (on a Mac) and then hit the Sel key. That will open and close the window.

2) Agreed! We should put in a suggestion. I would love to send the Send on a fader for my iPad.

3) Hopefully #1 will answer this.

4-7) Agreed! There is some awesome new stuff in this release...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM

I've only played with the new Eucon and PT Control app for a handful of minutes today, but so far I'm very impressed with it. It's handled my two biggest wish-list items:

- being able to run in conjunction with the whole Artist series range (currently running the Control app simultaneously with an Artist Control, Transport and x2 Mixes and everything seems to be working properly),

- having a touch surround panner that follows track selection in Pro Tools.

Even with just those two I'd be a happy camper, but the addition of the channel view is also really great and I can see that being quite useful as well.

Looking forward to playing around more with everything in the near future, as well as seeing what other kinds of enhancements get rolled out in future updates.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:09 AM

I updated both pro tools control and eucon, but it didnt work at all! Pro tools control did show that is connected, but it stayed blank! Anyone else had this problem? Im on osx 10.10.5 and pt 12.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk