Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Default "Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.."

Still no luck after trashing prefs, restarts, reselecting in hardware engine, audio midi setup, etc. Everything looks right except PT aggregate showing up when I pull up the playback engine setting when launching PT via the "N" key...

Getting this error: "Could not complete your request because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.." Using PT Ultimate 2018.4.0, 2009 Mac Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.5, Hardware is Dangerous Music Convert 2 connected via USB.

NOTE: Playback engine in Settings dropdown menu shows the convert 2 selected but when I launch PT with "N" key, the same Playback engine box that appears shows PT aggregate...? These should be the same right? I tried deleting the PT aggregate in Audio Midi setup but PT creates the aggregate in Audio Midi Setup when I launch PT. My dealer said I should be using the Convert-2 which again is selected. My hardware sometimes says: "There are no digital cards in the system..." which would seem to be related to this problem...

ISSUE: I cannot launch 96k sessions. I am able to create new 96k sessions and import session data as a workaround but I cannot open any preexisting 96k PT sessions. 44.1k sessions have no issue opening. This began after installing PT Ultimate, previously PT software worked on this same computer, OS, and hardware. Please advise.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:36 PM

Default Re: "Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83avid View Post
Still no luck after trashing prefs, restarts, reselecting in hardware engine, audio midi setup, etc. Everything looks right except PT aggregate showing up when I pull up the playback engine setting when launching PT via the "N" key...

Getting this error: "Could not complete your request because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.." Using PT Ultimate 2018.4.0, 2009 Mac Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.5, Hardware is Dangerous Music Convert 2 connected via USB.

NOTE: Playback engine in Settings dropdown menu shows the convert 2 selected but when I launch PT with "N" key, the same Playback engine box that appears shows PT aggregate...? These should be the same right? I tried deleting the PT aggregate in Audio Midi setup but PT creates the aggregate in Audio Midi Setup when I launch PT. My dealer said I should be using the Convert-2 which again is selected. My hardware sometimes says: "There are no digital cards in the system..." which would seem to be related to this problem...

ISSUE: I cannot launch 96k sessions. I am able to create new 96k sessions and import session data as a workaround but I cannot open any preexisting 96k PT sessions. 44.1k sessions have no issue opening. This began after installing PT Ultimate, previously PT software worked on this same computer, OS, and hardware. Please advise.
I have had similar issues in regards to having my interface set for say X sample rate, with Pro Tools 2018.4 set to the same X sample rate but could not open the session. However, I discovered a work around being whenever I needed to change samples rates, for ex, going from a 192k session to a 96k session, I had to first create a new session at the sample rate I wish to change to. So in this example it would be 96k. After I made that new 96k session it then would load up the previously saved 96k session. Are you saying this does not work for you? It is also deff a good idea to use the N key at startup to select your interface too. Btw, PT Aggregate always shows up in the list at the top, that is normal.

edit: this seems to be an issue more related to 3rd party interfaces. This only happens on my Presonas Studio 192....and now that I look at my issue again I think mine was more about the interface and not Pro Tools itself. These issues do not happen with my Digi 003 Rack+ since it is Digidesign (now Avid) interface. With the 003 Rack+ I can go from sample rate to sample rate without even closing PT

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
However, I discovered a work around being whenever I needed to change samples rates, for ex, going from a 192k session to a 96k session, I had to first create a new session at the sample rate I wish to change to. So in this example it would be 96k. After I made that new 96k session it then would load up the previously saved 96k session.
So i just tried this (created a 96k 24b session, then closed the session and tried to launch a preexisting 96k session)

Although it did not work, I did get a new error message:

"Could not complete the Open Session... command because AAE error -9060 was encountered."

I'm starting to really lose time and $$$ here... cancelling my client for tmrw since I can'y open any of his sessions... c'mon avid
Old 06-20-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
So i just tried this (created a 96k 24b session, then closed the session and tried to launch a preexisting 96k session)

Although it did not work, I did get a new error message:

"Could not complete the Open Session... command because AAE error -9060 was encountered."

I'm starting to really lose time and $$$ here... cancelling my client for tmrw since I can'y open any of his sessions... c'mon avid
Try opening the existing session without closing the newly created one. As in just go the File --> Recent tab and open the existing one from there prior to closing the already opened new one. I dont think it matters but that is usually how I do it when I have to perform this workaround

Old 06-20-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Try opening the existing session without closing the newly created one. As in just go the File --> Recent tab and open the existing one from there prior to closing the already opened new one. I dont think it matters but that is usually how I do it when I have to perform this workaround
Same error.

However, I am able to open the 96k test session I made earlier... but when i attempted to open the 96k session I made Monday and imported data/audio into to get a mix done for a client, I was unable to open that session...?

edit/update:
I just quit PT and relaunched and I was able again to open the 96k test session, and now was just able to open the new 96k mix session I made Monday...

edit/update:
Okay now I was able to open an older 96k session. Curious why or how consistently this will work?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM

So now I was just able to quit PT, relaunch, and then open 1st and older 96k session.

I have no idea why this did not work in the first place? A little worried it won't be repeatable when I have attended work...
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
So now I was just able to quit PT, relaunch, and then open 1st and older 96k session.

I have no idea why this did not work in the first place? A little worried it won't be repeatable when I have attended work...

Did you ever get a message that states your I/O count has changed and PT needs to relaunch? I am not familiar with your interface but it is common for say going from a 44.1k to a 96k sample rate that this may change your I/O count. If you are not getting that message, if it actually does impact your interfaces I/O count, then PT is not recognizing the sample rate change. You would need to manually quit and relaunch the PT program if that were the case. Perhaps that is why the quitting and relaunching process worked, but who knows, I think this sounds like another compatibility quirk with 3rd party interfaces.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Are you on PC or Mac? Some time back I was seeing this issue a lot. I'm on PC. For me, the workaround was to go into the Windows Control Panel - Sound Options and set the "default" sample rate for the interface to be the same as the project I wanted to open. It was a major headache, but it worked for me. I have not done any work in PT in a long time (I switched to a different DAW) but I suspect the problem is the same.

In my experience the ASIO implementation never really worked properly. It always required workarounds and many headaches, going back to PT9, but it seemed to get worse with PT11. I hope others have had better luck.

Quote:

Old 07-02-2019, 06:21 AM

Hi all,

Was this ever solved?

I suddenly can't open 88.2KHz sessions or create new ones - something I used to do it all the time until today.

Opening existing 88.2 sessions fails with the "Could not create a new document because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.." message.
Creating a new 88.2 session - same message when playback engine is Aggregate IO.
If I set playback engine to Built-in Output and try to create a new session, only 44.1 and 48 KHz are available for Sample Rate.

Audio and MIDI Setup also behaves strangely. It doesn't allow sample rates above 48KHz for the built-in mic and output and crashed a couple of times.
It's strange because I never had problems with 88.2KHz on this computer, and my 88.2KHz files are playing fine in QuickTime.

Trashed preferences and restarted - didn't help.

Any ideas? I'm completely

I'm with Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7.0, Mac Book Pro mid 2017, OS High Sierra, 10.13.6

Thanks for reading, any input will be much appreciated <3

ith
Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 AM

I'm all a sudden having this problem. Can't open sessions and get this message: Could not complete your request because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value..
What's up with this ???
I'm using a Presonus Studio 1824c
I can't create a new session or open any session.
Never had this issue before.
???
PreSonus 1824c
Faderport 16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12
Studio One 6.5 Pro
Logic Pro X