Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-27-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Latency Compensation

I have to also agree with the PCI issue. UA's card has already given many (myself included) problems functioning with the PCI-X slots in the new Macs. And I don't think PCI-X will be around much longer because PCI-Express seems to be the newest best protocol. I just hope that Digidesign will hear the throngs of requests from users who want to use other plugs.

Please... I'm begging now... Don't make me keep sliding my audio tracks around.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM

For those who really use ProTools as a money-making tool, the cost of HD isn't that high...

Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 PM

Almost every app I can think of has it. I use PT to make money as well and to say LE doesn't need it for that reason is silly.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
For those who really use ProTools as a money-making tool, the cost of HD isn't that high...
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you Tele.

Cost of a HD1 and a 96I/O - we're talking bare bones here...$15,380AUD. Thats without a computer, or any sounds, or sampling software. Add in a G5, screen, and bits and pieces... easy $20k.
Thats a lot of money to recoup before you make anything on it. I know a lot of folks working in that mid level - doing programming, editing etc - it's just not viable for them to go into a HD rig. I'm not talking Pro Studios here, or well paid producers. But what they can do with a competing product and a good audio interface,and a DSP card, is nearly as much as they could achieve with a HD rig, and definately way more than an LE system.
Thats just a fact.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 AM

Regardless of the cost of an HD system I think the fact of the matter is that people will work with what they can afford. If I could afford an HD system I would buy one.....even though im not a proffesional. Id still buy an HD rig even if my LE rig had latency compensation, could do 100 tracks and could thread between multiple processors. Why? Because the HD rig will always be bigger and better...even if Digi throws us LE guys a few (much deserved) bones in the form of latency comp and those other things there will still be those who can afford the cream of the crop and will buy it. Id be willing to bet that the LE sales would go up and the HD sales would remain the same. just my two cents.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Avid

Just want to make sure this is clear.. Pro Tools LE DOES compensate for host-based plug-ins using the CPU for processing by way of the HW buffer. That point seemed to be getting muddled in the disucssion of latencies introduced by 3rd-party hardware accelerators (which are not compensated for as noted above).

Thanks, carry on..
Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Just want to make sure this is clear.. Pro Tools LE DOES compensate for host-based plug-ins using the CPU for processing by way of the HW buffer. That point seemed to be getting muddled in the disucssion of latencies introduced by 3rd-party hardware accelerators (which are not compensated for as noted above).

Thanks, carry on..
I'm assuming that that means any plugins that introduce a latency greater than the maximum hardware buffer size, or multiple plugins on the same track will not be compensated for ?

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
That point seemed to be getting muddled in the disucssion of latencies introduced by 3rd-party hardware accelerators (which are not compensated for as noted above).
Could you let us know if and when Digi has plans to include compensation for 3rd-party accelerators? I realy would like to know if that is in the works or not.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Try buying it in Australia and then realize how that is not such a bright statement. You ARE hit so hard to pay it off , well I cant even start on this one, you would be starting around 40k for something worthwhile , thats alot in my current config of my life. Then your plugs, then......etc

HD is way overpriced, even for the total pro friends of mine including one of the best ME in the country, its a commitment that cannot be taken lightly here, perhaps in the states you get a better deal.

The way things are upgrading and moving, I still question the validity of moving from my mix on 9 to osx, my home le still rocks on the faithfull 001 and still wonder why the plugin latency was so minimal on the 001 on os9 to a real obvious pain on osx, is this a deliberate move by digi? I seriously wonder if thats an inbuilt bug, dont believe me...
Try the same session you are having latency issues with on x on a old os9 box and see the difference.

Why is that I wonder??

Conspiracy, how bout the moon landing.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That point seemed to be getting muddled in the disucssion of latencies introduced by 3rd-party hardware accelerators (which are not compensated for as noted above).
Could you let us know if and when Digi has plans to include compensation for 3rd-party accelerators? I realy would like to know if that is in the works or not.
No - it is not in the works. Digidesign already have a system that uses DSP cards for plug ins. It works fantastically, and they want you to use that, and I believe thats fair enough.

I'm interested to hear a response about plug in delays greater than the maximum hardware buffer size.

Bueller ?

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3