Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-23-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Latency Compensation

I was wondering if Digidesign had any plans to incorporate Latency Compensation into a new version. I was hoping it would show up with 6.9. I use the UAD-1 card and love the plugs but it is a huge pain to use in PT. Now with Waves new hardware accelerators, I would hope that Digi would get more friendly to 3rd party plugs.

Does any one have info for me?
Thanks

(G5 DP 2.3, Digi 002)
Old 07-24-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Latency Compensation

Only every other program has it.... so prob they won't Which is actually really really annoying.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 PM

It is very frustrating, and makes me want to move away from PT. I used to use Digital Performer and moved to PT because I was getting more post work and clients like that I have a Pro Tools rig. Many things I miss about DP, but many I love about PT. If they could only fix the latency issue, I would consider a Power Core, and the new Waves accelerator.

Enough ranting. Does anyone actually know if there are any plans for Latency compensation for PT 7?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 AM

i believe they will have to do it.
If not they will lose many users because many people are tired of the long delays digidesign takes and tests us with their "we are god and everyone has to wait for us" policy.
besides if they don't do it , they will be slaughtered by the press and by all digi002 users.
Who in their right mind wouldn't include it !

i just hope we can have it before protools 7 ............ because that might be january
Old 07-26-2005, 07:56 AM

I think people should distinguish between 'latency compensation' and 'plugin delay compensation'.

The first would be automatic compensation for converter delays, and delays caused by the adjustable buffer size. ProTools LE already has this (and they've apparently fixed the bug that mis-compensated the 002 by 95 samples).

The second would be automatic compensation for the delays created by plugins, this is the one people are screaming for, and it's a much trickier problem to fix.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:02 AM

If it's so tricky how come every other major app has it. I think the real reson is basically they want us to all upgrade to TDM system for the extra features. I would pay more for the app if it had these features. I'm not going to get a TDM because every studio I go to has one and I just use my LE for editing, but I do do alot of things at home and it would be nice to have it.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:49 PM

That's my problem too. I work on a TDM system at the other studios I go to, so I'm not looking to set that up at my home studio. I would, however, like to have better parity between set-ups when I take my work home. I use UA's plugs at my main work and then have to deal with the issues when I bring the project back here.

One morning, Mr. Avid/Digidesign guy is going to wake up and every studio in town is going to be running Logic, and he's going to rub his eyes and wonder what happened? If you are going to act like the biggest and best on the block, than be the biggest and the best! (Just ask Butch Fortune who used to shake me down for my lunch money every morning.)
Old 07-26-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
One morning, Mr. Avid/Digidesign guy is going to wake up and every studio in town is going to be running Logic, and he's going to rub his eyes and wonder what happened?
I tend to agree with that. More and more people want/need more from ProTools LE (tracks, power, plus-ins, surround, delay compensation,...), I am not saying we should get what we want for free, it's just that it should be the logical next step.
1997 MIX, 1999 LE/001, 2003 HD, 2005 ???
If you look at how MIX as evolved into HD (track count, accel, 48K to 192K) and how LE has: 002, 32 tracks, 96K (well...), there's a bigger gap now that in 1999 between LE and MIX.
A lot of people (who are all pros) using LE are feeling the need for something in-between (the middle range) that is not today answered by Digi products neither in software nor in hardware. LE people are trying to find the solutions themselves, testing and beta-testing (sometimes) 3rd parties products in conjunction with PT: for example: powered plus-ins from UA or TC via VST-RTAS wrappers that doesn't seem to work as good as they would like. The pity of it all is that other software has the features they need but it's not ProTools, and hardware they need exists but doesn't work well with ProTools.
I have to say I am really glad Digi "gave" us LE back in 1999, it has been (still is) a joy to work with it everyday, but I believe it is no more adequate as (for example) the studio B (or edition room) of a HD main studio.
The arrival of M-Audio (the availability of PT LE for M-Audio) is a good thing in my opinion if it liberates Digi from the current LE system and let them focus on the next generation, and they can call it what they want: 003, TDM light, Native... There are features that should now be in the software as well as in the hardware.
well, maybe i'm still pissed of by Apple's last macs updates!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:14 AM

I don't think they want us to upgrade to TDM........ maybe they want us to buy their controllers. TDM is a bit far off from the LE version.
Only thing i could see in the future is having a TDM card something like Powercore, waves,UAD-1. That way the gap between a nice real tdm system and a tdm plugins card with digi002 and a controller are more closely to a TDM in price.
And i would really like to have a PTle version that runs on a PCI card again !

A tdm system can not be compaired to a logic system or whatever.
but a protools LE is like logic so they better get in gear and give us that automatic delay fix for our plugins ! and i mean fast !!
And if they want to get more protools users ? include third-party plugins or give cycling 74 a license to have their vst version run other plugins.

I spend the rest of my 10k$ on very nice preamps....... instead of a tdm system.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM

I don't think I'd like to see them put out another PCI card version. Computers today are capable of handling the load, I've seen guys running Logic with dual processors and it's sick how many plugs and synths they get. Plus it's another thing to get outdated with the manufactures decide PCI-x isn't they way to go and the new thing is.