Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Mysterious Ways

Anybody got any suggestions for creating a U2 (the Edge) Mysterious Ways patch on the 11R? I did a search but nothing comes up.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Mysterious Ways

This is a work in progress, but see if it gets you close.
http://www.ubuenterprises.com/mysterious_ways.tfx
Sounds real nice with my Ibenez AFS80T hollowbody and my Schecter Tempest (both with humbuckers).

The Korg A3 (which I used until I bought my11R) is what Edge used.
I've seen that someone has come up with a patch on the Axe FX that works.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastart View Post
Anybody got any suggestions for creating a U2 (the Edge) Mysterious Ways patch on the 11R? I did a search but nothing comes up.
For searching and/or requesting patches on the 11R, I would suggest using a non-affliated site, called the Eleven Rack Users Group otherwise known as: 11R Presets. So it may be worth your while creating an account there and requesting it.

Personally, recreating that sound without an a3 unit is going to be tough because of the envelope filter/autowah that unit used . Even the Axe FX known for it's FX capabilities has trouble recreating that particular sound. I did hear an example a while back, of a review of an envelope filter stompy, that did a good job of the A3 sound called the DiscomBOBulator pedal (or perhaps the RoboTalk pedal). Still your best bet of nailing that tone, and I hate to say it, would be getting a used A3 unit on evilBay.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 AM

I thought Edge used a MuTron III as the envelope filter for this particular song?
Anyways, envelope filter going into an overdrive is what got me the closest
No joy with the 11R on it's own I'm afraid, although you could try to "simulate" it with the wah.
Eleven Rack + ERXP
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
I thought Edge used a MuTron III as the envelope filter for this particular song?
No joy with the 11R on it's own I'm afraid, although you could try to "simulate" it with the wah.
You may well be right! I have never been a 'big' fan of U2 or the Edge for that matter. Except for the songs "Mysterious Ways" and "Where the Streets have no Name", I'd be hard pressed to name another U2 song.

About the only thing I can say in my defense is that I've heard people play what sounded like spot-on recreations of "Mysterious Ways" with the Korg unit. I originally thought it was done with a Wah (rather than Envelope) and got pretty good results using one. But we need a little more control over the wah to really get it - or a filter .

There is a "Mutron" idea on IdeaScale, I'm pretty sure I voted for that, I may put up a General FX idea for an envelope filter and a General Idea for more controls of the wah and see how many negative votes I can garner .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
Hmmm. I have a Mutron III. It's a buds and I'm supposed to look at it and see if it works. This reminded me to pull it out and look at it. Are there any other definitive Mutron III songs I should be aware of?

EDIT: Just exchanged the pair of rechargeable NiCads stuck in there and this thing came to life. Apparently it likes a nice fresh pair of Duracells much better. Still messing with the settings but I could definitely kind of see this being used on Mysterious Ways. FWIW I don't think this is not doing anything that you couldn't do with something like a 535Q Wah. If some one can find a definitive set of settings for the Mutron III. I will be glad to test them (Although I have no idea how to play Mysterious Ways). I'm actually impressed with how quiet this thing is and the fact it seems to be true bypass or at least have no negative effect on the guitar tone. Lets see a mint Mutron III in the original box with owners guide. I suppose I would be stupid not to buy this from my buddy.

Chris T. If your looking for a Mutron III to model get in touch.....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88